is it possible to use spi to drive a sipo and a piso at the same time?

the heading says it all?

the heading says it all?

Does it? The heading doesn't explain what a sipo is. The heading doesn't explain what a piso is.

Could I ask, please, Paul, if you have nothing better to do than just trawl the forum looking for things to criticise you keep clear of any of my calls for help? thank you.
For anyone else who wouldn’t mind helping.
I have used Nick’s excellent sketch

// Demo sketch to read from a 74HC165 input shift register
// Author: Nick Gammon
// Date:   23 March 2013

// Pin connections for Uno and similar:

// Chip pin 1 (/PL)  goes to LATCH (D9)
// Chip pin 2 (CP)   goes to SCK   (D13)
// Chip pin 9 (Q7)   goes to MISO  (D12)


#include <SPI.h>

const byte LATCH = 9;

void setup ()
{
  SPI.begin ();
  Serial.begin (9600);
  Serial.println ("Begin switch test.");
  pinMode (LATCH, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite (LATCH, HIGH);
}  // end of setup

byte optionSwitch;
byte oldOptionSwitch; // previous state

void loop ()
{
  digitalWrite (LATCH, LOW);    // pulse the parallel load latch
  digitalWrite (LATCH, HIGH);
  optionSwitch = SPI.transfer (0);
  
  byte mask = 1;
  for (int i = 1; i <= 8; i++)
    {
    if ((optionSwitch & mask) != (oldOptionSwitch & mask))
      {
      Serial.print ("Switch ");
      Serial.print (i);
      Serial.print (" now ");
      Serial.println ((optionSwitch & mask) ? "closed" : "open");
      }  // end of bit has changed
    mask <<= 1;  
    }  // end of for each bit
  
  oldOptionSwitch = optionSwitch;
  delay (10);   // debounce
}  // end of loop

and also

#include <SPI.h>

const byte LATCH = 10;

void setup ()
{
  SPI.begin ();
}  // end of setup

byte c;
void loop ()
{
  c++;
  digitalWrite (LATCH, LOW);
  SPI.transfer (c);
  digitalWrite (LATCH, HIGH);
  delay (20);
}  // end of loop

I would like to run six buttons with a PISO chip such as the 74ls165 and six leds with a SIPO chip such as the 74ls 595.
Its not important which chips I use I just happen to have these handy.
Is it possible to do this with SPI?
thanks.

matelot:
Could I ask, please, Paul, if you have nothing better to do than just trawl the forum looking for things to criticise you keep clear of any of my calls for help?

If you check out PaulS' projects, products and contributions to Arduino you will see that he has much better things to be doing, but still takes time to contribute to the forum. It's well worth enduring some criticism to get free advice from someone who has so much knowledge and experience.

I have to disagree, the forum is for people who don't know the answer to a question about the subjects covered here to be able to come and ask. If the only answer they get or keep seeing is one of nothing more than a caustic comment about their question then people are going to assume that the forum is just peopled with nothing better to do than criticise questions and not help.
I have asked questions on this forum before and had similar comments from Paul to those questions, this is not the first time.
I certainly do not agree that it is

well worth enduring some criticism to get free advice

What the h*ll is a sipo and a piso?

About 95% of the time when PaulS gets harsh on people it is completely justified. The other 5% I do roll my eyes but still the overall effect on this forum is positive. In this case I don't even consider it a criticism. I read this post because I wondered "what is sipo and piso?" Your first comment didn't answer that. A short definition of the terms might increase your chances of getting help, that's all PaulS suggested. Now I have learned 2 new terms so thank you!