Is it safe to leave the battery in the circuit? Project Zeotrope

Hi. Does anyone know if it would be safe to leave the 9V battery connected to the h-bridge for a long period of time (days, weeks)? If not, should and how would I use a relay in this circuit?

The project i am referring to is here & it looks like this:

with the other two middle pins on the other side of the h-bridge also connected to ground (so in total, 4 of the 16 pins on the h-bridge is directly connected to ground.

***all parts I am using are found in the Arduino Uno Starter Kit

PP3 9 volt batteries don't have a long lifespan with most motors.

Circuit would be better with a higher current rated battery or independent PSU.

Bob.

Circuits are designed to run 24/7 so there should be no problems apart from battery drain

Old technology H-bridges like the L293D (pictured) draw significant current, even with the chip disabled.
Modern mosfet H-bridges could do much better, and probably don't need a relay.
Read the datasheets.
Leo..

PP3 9 volt batteries don't have a long lifespan with most motors.

Circuit would be better with a higher current rated battery or independent PSU.

Do you have any recommendations for a

higher current rated battery or independent PSU.

for the arduino uno?

Circuits are designed to run 24/7 so there should be no problems apart from battery drain

Good to know but I am also trying to avoid battery drain. I planed on doing this by adding a manual switch to the battery that powered the arduino and a relay for the battery that powered the motor.

Old technology H-bridges like the L293D (pictured) draw significant current, even with the chip disabled.
Modern mosfet H-bridges could do much better, and probably don't need a relay.
Read the datasheets.

I can't tell if the h-bridge i'm using is the one that "probrably doesn't need a relay". Could you tell me what to look for in the documentation?

You might want to describe where it will be located and how often it will be checked to get a better idea of what you need along with how often the motor will run and for how long ?

They will help determine your power usage.

Bob.

You might want to describe where it will be located and how often it will be checked to get a better idea of what you need along with how often the motor will run and for how long ?

The goal will be to connect a servo motor, gyro, distance sensor, IR receiver, and a motor attached the same way as it is in this project. It will probably run for at least 5 min. at a time and the batteries will stay attached to the circuit. As stated before, the battery powering the circuit will have a manual switch attached to the positive end. The one powering the motor has no switch attached but i can attach a relay if needed.
I am trying to prevent both batteries from being used (drained) at all when the project is not being used.

You may want to take a look at the sleep function for the Arduino itself as that will reduce power usage.
An interrupt from a sensor would then wake it back up Once it starts up it would then enable the relay for the battery to the motor.

There are many such projects on the internet so finding something that suits your purpose should be quite easy.

But a starter is here

As for the battery itself you may want to consider a rechargeable one

Bob.

Julientoons:
I can't tell if the h-bridge i'm using is the one that "probrably doesn't need a relay". Could you tell me what to look for in the documentation?

That's exactly the one I listed. 40+ year old technology.
Page 3/7 lists "Is" of the motor supply and "Iss" of the logic supply in different modes.
Leo..