Is it too early to use the Nano Every?

Hello,

I've bought two Arduino Nano Every boards to go along a few Unos I use to teach Arduino to a group of students. However I wonder if the IDE and the drivers are ready for this board yet or if I am missing something.

First, the compiler complains with this message : 'avrdude: jtagmkII_initialize(): Cannot locate "flash" and "boot" memories in description'. I don't know if it has any consequence but it's weird.

Then, there are issues with the driver (at least on MacOS X) and people suggested to go back from version 1.8.5 to 1.8.4. But then do I get older bugs?

More specifically, I am trying to run a very basic sketch which runs smoothly on an Uno: it controls a LED through a PWM output from a computer (running the Max software) over the USB port (used as serial).

I can't get the Every to run it. Moreover, the serial connection gets stuck as soon as I open it on the computer and Max is then almost totally blocked.

const int led = 5;
int messageDeMax;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    messageDeMax = Serial.read();
    analogWrite(led, messageDeMax) ;
    }
}

So, should I wait for some update of the drivers/doc/IDE to use this board? What's your idea/experience?

Update: after going back to version 1.8.5 of the driver I could finally run the sketch. To be followed?

The architectures vary between boards.
Some people have been caught out by that aspect.

Whilst many sketches will run without modification you will occasionally come up against one that may use an incompatible library.
Choices there are to find an alternate one or if you have the skills then add what is needed to the library itself.

As far as actual drivers go I doubt you will be finding a big but may miss out on a few minor improvements.
Currently 1.8.9 of the IDE is a more stable IDE and 1.8.5 was exceptionally stable in terms of the IDE itself.

Also worth a mention is using the Library manager to get newer versions of Libraries and Board Manager to get the latest cores / board definitions.

Bob.

The "avrdude: jtagmkII_initialize(): Cannot locate "flash" and "boot" memories in description' message can be ignored, it always shows up with jtag2updi programmers, whether or not they program successfully.

Just bought three of these

amundsen:
So, should I wait for some update of the drivers/doc/IDE to use this board? What's your idea/experience?

I have had no problems like what you describe, but I also am not using macOS. I know there have been a tremendous number of problems with macOS Catalina, though I have not heard of any specific to the Nano Every.

There certainly are some issues with some 3rd party libraries no having support for the newer ATmega4809 microcontroller on the Every, as ballscrewbob already mentioned. That is inevitable with any new Arduino board. This situation will steadily improve as time goes on. Luckily, we have already had the Uno WiFi Rev2 paving the way for a while before the Nano Every came out. Now that we have the smaller and cheaper Nano Every available as well, we should see the increase in 3rd party support accelerate.

amundsen:
Update: after going back to version 1.8.5 of the driver I could finally run the sketch.

I'm glad to hear it! Just to make sure it's clear for others who might have the same problem, are you saying that you originally had the problem with Arduino megaAVR Boards 1.8.5, rolled back to Arduino megaAVR Boards 1.8.4 and still had the problem, then went back to using Arduino megaAVR Boards 1.8.5 and found it worked?

pert:
Just to make sure it's clear for others who might have the same problem, are you saying that you originally had the problem with Arduino megaAVR Boards 1.8.5, rolled back to Arduino megaAVR Boards 1.8.4 and still had the problem, then went back to using Arduino megaAVR Boards 1.8.5 and found it worked?

Sorry for the delay to answer but, yes, this is what happened.