Is laser pointer 30000mw blue broken balloons ?

Hello ,I want to buy a laser pointer 30000mw blue. It is a website :http://www.laserskaufen.com/c-40_10_12-p-9607.html ,IS it Burning, broken balloons and so on? Can I trust it?

Err, my German isn't very good but I think it quotes operating voltage is 3.7 V at 1.6 A. That's a power input of 6 W so if it's output is 30 W it must be breaking laws of physics and using magic!

However, 6 W or 30 W either way that could be a very dangerous device if you don't know what you're doing.

Russell

Innumerate people out there, this is a 3W laser by the look of it, 1.5mrad beam size, so as bright as 16MW of non-laser blue light - this will blind you instantly from the slightest side reflection.

Unless you have full laser eye protection for the correct wavelengths (remember these are normally infra-red lasers with a frequency tripler crystal so you need to block IR as well as blue) don't touch this. Yes it will start fires and burst balloons and cut thin cardboard. Most of the energy may be in the IR, note)

Its spectacularly expensive compared to eBay. Its probably a 2W diode being overdriven, 2W diodes are £25 on eBay.

Innumerate people out there, this is a 3W laser

Illiterate people in here

Its a 30W laser because it says so

Ausgangsleistung 30000 mW (30W)

Probably uses dimensional portal technology - somewhat similar to a flux capacitor. :roll_eyes:

It is NOT DPSS (so, NO IR), It might be a 2W+ (M140) semi, driven at 1.6A will get you close, maybe a little over, 2W Optical Power output (NOT power dissipation). It won't 'Blind you instantly' from side flash, or incident reflections, but can put some MAJOR hurt on you. moderate term exposure to the beam CAN cause a condition which chemically burns out the blue sensing cones in your eyes. Correct safety goggles are a MUST. When focused, the beam is certainly capable of popping balloons, burning darker, non-metallic/ceramic materials, and burning flesh.

If you are inexperienced enough to ask these questions on the Arduio forum, you should NOT buy this LASER, even if the ad is legitimate. Go to Laser Pointer Forums (http://laserpointerforums.com). Look around some and then ask questions.

2W blue light will blind you instantly, ie destroy part of your retina faster than you can blink, guaranteed. I stand by my statement, this is class 4 laser diode.

I've soldered with a 30W soldering iron!!!!

Burning paper or popping a balloon should be no problem.

...I don't know if you can melt solder with that thing because I'm not sure it' it's really 30 watts, I don't know how much of that 30W is transmitted as laser-light, how much energy will actually hit the target, how concentrated it will be, or how much light will reflect-off the silver-colored solder.

mW, not MW. Unless this is megawatts.... yow!

MarkT: 2W blue light will blind you instantly, ie destroy part of your retina faster than you can blink, guaranteed. I stand by my statement, this is class 4 laser diode.

You can stand by whatever you like, it is your privilege and better safe than sorry, BUT... It will not 'blind' you. it WILL cause irreversible damage to the lense and retina ('destroy PART of your retina') and much, much faster than you can blink. and, yes, it would be classified as Class IV.

It is a battle of semantics and I would agree with you on principle, if not fact, except that spreading fobic exaggerations is not helping the laser enthusiast hobby. Safety is a good thing, but overstating the hazard can be counter productive. the uneducated will believe that it will make the sky fall, in any second, and go screaming into the night.....

Lol. 30W. That would be great for metal engraving or cutting thin sheets.
But yeah. Even 2W laser is insta-permanent-blindness.
Unless you know exactly what you’re doing…better not touch those things.

123Splat: You can stand by whatever you like, it is your privilege and better safe than sorry, BUT... It will not 'blind' you. it WILL cause irreversible damage to the lense and retina ('destroy PART of your retina') and much, much faster than you can blink. and, yes, it would be classified as Class IV.

Everyone here has a sensible notion of what blinding means, you do not, and you risk encouraging someone short on clue to do something extremely dangerous.

THIS LASER WILL BLIND YOU IF YOU DON'T TAKE FULL PRECAUTIONS

polymorph: mW, not MW. Unless this is megawatts.... yow!

ERP(*) is 16MW - go do the calculations, total power divided by solid angle, then compare to isotropic light source.

(*) Effective radiated power, the power of an isotropic source of equivalent lumunious intensity.

Laser light is more damaging even that that because its coherent so the electric field strength is more than diffuse light.

Just for comparison.

30W lasers can also be used for surgery. The legal power limit for consumer laser pointers is 5mW. Staring at the reflected light from a few meters away makes my eyes hurt after a while even at those low powers.

So yeah, do not be misguided...30W is an incredible amount. 2W is also ridiculously high for someone beginning with lasers. 200mW lasers from DVDs are also seriously dangerous if mishandled.

far_1: So yeah, do not be misguided...30W is an incredible amount. 2W is also ridiculously high for someone beginning with lasers. 200mW lasers from DVDs are also seriously dangerous if mishandled.

Yeah - this thing is in no way 30 watts - while it's a large hand-held laser, the power input vs output doesn't match up to what you would expect; I believe, though, that it is likely 3 watts - which can still ruin your day if you don't know what you are doing.

Or - it could ruin someone else's day. Here in Arizona, a woman who was working at crowd control, during last year's Burning Man in 2014 (she's a Black Rock Ranger), was permanently blinded in one eye, and mostly blinded in the other - by someone "playing" with a high-power green laser pointer. It basically happened instantly. No one knows who did it, whether it was an accident, or intentional - or what. In a short space of time, her life and lifestyle were turned upside-down. Many hobbies and other things she took for granted, she can either no longer perform, or has limited ability to do them.

Consequently, there have been more than a few changes enacted for this year's festival, in relation to lasers. IIRC, pointers are banned (and likely will get you ejected if you insist on bringing them), and other lasers for other purposes are inspected and licensed (similar to the art cars, I think) - and have certain provisions attached to them.

Lasers are not toys. I remember a time when you had to be an adult (18+ years of age) to purchase one - not only because they were insanely expensive, but because they were considered hazardous for children to use. Sadly, today we see that even adults can't be responsible with such tools. Not that such is new or anything, of course.

I personally own a pre-ban (in the USA) 250 mW green laser pointer. That thing is crazy powerful, and I take extreme care when I use it. I can't imagine what a 3 watt blue laser would be like - let alone a 30 watt one (well, that's not entirely true - at past Burning Man events, people have brought large air-cooled 40 watt argon gas lasers to paint the clouds with - the beams that came out were about an inch or so in diameter, aimed at the sky).

If the claimed spec is true then perhaps they have discovered the answer to the world's energy problems :D :D

Russell.

russellz: If the claimed spec is true then perhaps they have discovered the answer to the world's energy problems

I basically said that in answer #4. :grinning:

gosh, you guys, arguing about power.... did you run a translator and check the engineering links ?

"the principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance."

the key is "to reduce soinasoidal repleneration."

more can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Paul hinted at it in post #4

dimensional portal technology

the osmolaity of the phase detractors is the hitherto unknown.

and that is why you can get 30 watts of high output laser light on a couple AA batteries.

MarkT: Everyone here has a sensible notion of what blinding means, you do not, and you risk encouraging someone short on clue to do something extremely dangerous.

THIS LASER WILL BLIND YOU IF YOU DON'T TAKE FULL PRECAUTIONS

If what you state was ANYWHERE near true, close to two thirds of the LASER hobbiest/enthusiasts around the world would be 'totally blinded'. Yet, we are not. we have had access to and built with 2W semiconductor LASER diodes for over a year now (before that, they were unavailable or economically out of reasonable reach). Eye damage IS a potential hazard to anyone around a working LASER of any power level. safety protection/procedures are always a good precaution (although not always taken). The assertion that the slightest exposure to the side flash from a two Watt blue LASER is pure unadulterated IDIOCY proffered by an inexperienced tyro repeating what he has heard or might have read. A direct beam hit to the eye is a quite different matter.

I respect your knowledge and expertize in electronics and the Arduino, but you appear to actually have didlly for LASERs.

It should be obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of experience in such matters (and most of those without any experience) that there is NO way this hand held could be 30W. the op is obviously a noob and has no business with anything over 1mW. start small, learn, take small steps upward, or get out of the hobby.

Know what you are talking about and do NOT overstate (or understate) the hazards and need for safety. Miss-information does more harm than little or no information. We serious LASER enthusiast already have a big enough battle with the uninformed public hearing gross exaggerations of the effects of LASERs from uninformed fear mongers and idiots shining their new toys at aircraft.

As a side note on supplying a multi-Watt LASER diode with AA's: one of my favorite handhelp builds is a G2 lensed, 445nm (super Blue) M140 1.21W optical (metered by a 2.5W LaserBee LPM) driven by 3 AAA's in series, feeding a modified 'Flex Mod' boost driver. the AAA's don't last near as long as a 22650 Lipo, buy they work.