Is my motor damaged?

I need some help regarding my tower pro sg90

I'm not sure what happened to it. I know my code is fine because it works with other servo motors except this one. Does anyone know a way of finding out if your motor is damaged?

I connect the cables to the motor, upload the code but the motor doesn't do anything at all, it does not make any sound or jittering. Absolutely nothing

You can find out if your motor is damaged by
1)connect the cables to the motor
2)upload the code
3)if motor doesn’t do anything at all, it does not make any sound or jittering. Absolutely nothing

then you have shown that it is broken

INTP:
then you have shown that it is broken

I would want to confirm that:
4)my code is fine because it works with other servo motors

Yes, if you plug one servo in and it works then you plug a different servo in without changing anything else and that one doesn't work it's a good bet that the second servo is dead.

Or you have a bad connection or even a broken wire.

Steve

Hi,
OPs servo.

They are a cheap servo, and many members and enquirers have had these fail.
Now is your chance to make the most of the situation and open the servo up and have a look at how it is put together.

If you google sg90 servo teardown

You will find lots of YouTube videos on how to open them and what can go wrong.
You have nothing to loose.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
OPs servo.

They are a cheap servo, and many members and enquirers have had these fail.
Now is your chance to make the most of the situation and open the servo up and have a look at how it is put together.

If you google sg90 servo teardown

You will find lots of YouTube videos on how to open them and what can go wrong.
You have nothing to loose.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Lots of thanks to everyone who posted in this topic, however, it's pretty weird that it's broken because it hasn't fell even once or gone through any break downs. That's why I'm still indecisive whether it really is damaged completely. My best bet is that the wires that connect the motor to another part are damaged but how do I see if the wires are damaged?

Lexard:
Lots of thanks to everyone who posted in this topic, however, it’s pretty weird that it’s broken because it hasn’t fell even once or gone through any break downs.

Animals (people, etc) and machines can fail (at some time or any time), even when ‘new’. They can be produced/created with ‘faults’ or something wrong.

With servo motors, there may even be cases where soldering to internal terminals might not have been done properly during production/assembly…leading to disconnected wiring. Components can be defective. So it’s often advantageous to have spares ---- for backup and testing. Sometimes, there can be lucky breaks if you identify the issue and manage to fix it.

If you have other units of the same kind that work, and this one is the only one that isn’t working at the moment, then it’s obviously failed.

Lexard:
how do I see if the wires are damaged?

That would require disassembling ---- eg. some youtube videos for SG90. Then maybe using a multimeter to test for electrical continuity between internal terminals and external terminals (of wires).

Lexard:
That’s why I’m still indecisive whether it really is damaged completely.

You probably mean you’re uncertain about whether not it is repairable (or too much effort to repair), right? Only time will tell. Disassembly, observations and testing.

Before you open it, try to move the servo arm a few degrees in both directions.
It should just be possible with this servo with a bit of force.
Then try to use it again.
Leo..