Is nobody going to fix whatever causes this website to scroll in jerks?

The new website software has now had plenty of time to have its teething problems sorted out.

But it continues to be a Pain In The A... to use when I want to scroll quickly through several subject index pages and browse various specific threads from those index pages. It should not be necessary to wait for a whole page and all its baggage to load just to scroll down and click one or two links to other pages - and then have to wait for all the baggage again.

I and others have already complained about it - for example Long Delay (about 12 seconds) near end of Page Load - Website and Forum - Arduino Forum.

As I said in Reply #5 on that thread, not only is it very tedious to browse this website but when an Arduino.cc page is loading it also causes interruptions to smooth scrolling in pages from other sites that I may be reading.

...R

Methinks that is a browser problem (unlike the perennial "token" debacle).

My concern is that my Windoze machines are getting incredibly lethargic nowadays - almost as bad as the netbook I had to retire a couple of years ago because it developed terminal stuttering. Firefox in particular, as well as my professional software, freezes from time to time for some seconds. This also happens to a lesser extent on Linux - here's hoping a move to a quad core processor running Mint will fare better (and the quad cores do run better on Windoze - XP).

But similar things do seem to happen not running Firefox - not that of course, I do often run without Firefox or without a number of tabs open on these discussions - and such "hangs" may happen with all Arduino tabs complete. There seem to be problems with "unresponsive scripts" and of course, it really is about time with the combined efforts of Apple, Google and Firefox, for Flash to die its long overdue death.

I use other forums with the same browser (Opera) that don't cause the problems that this website does.

That VERY CLEARLY means that the problem lies with the stuff being sent to my browser by this website.

It's time for someone to fix things here ...

...R

It's time for someone to fix things here ...

Massimo has talked about a complete overhaul of the forum being planned. The Arduino team is busy with things like Arduino @ heart, maker fairs, etc., and are stretched pretty thin. I'm sure that patience will be rewarded when the new system is ready.

I thought we just suffered through a complete overhaul ...

How about Massimo (whoever he is) posting his own replies here?

...R

Massimo (whoever he is)

Is extremely busy, he is co founder of The Arduino, so God in other words (or at least one of them) yet he still takes time to read this forum and take an interest in it. However you can't expect him to inter-seed in every little problem.
It is through his money that this web site can run at all.

How about Massimo (whoever he is) posting his own replies here?

Massimo Banzi is the driving force behind the Arduino project. He does post here occasionally. Personally, I think his time is better spent doing what he does. YMMV.

In that case I guess Massimo has a deputy that is responsible for this website - I'd be quite happy if s/he participated routinely and regularly in the discussions about the forum itself.

As it is it seems like it would be just as useful if I had this discussion with a few strangers in the pub.

Personally, I think his time is better spent doing what he does

• do we know what that is and why is it more important than customer service/

...R

do we know what that is and why is it more important than customer service/

Yes he is driving the company in an attempt to get more resources to drive customer service in the direction we all want.

This is not a Mega bucks corporation you know, it is a movement. And as already mentioned an improved web site is promised.
However, note that your problem can very easily be at your end despite you not noticing the problem on other websites. It could be that this site is asking for a little more processing power than your machine / browser can cope with. I know that was the case with my machine. Yes sure you could tailor the web server to be not so processor intensive but that is a very time consuming thing to do and there are other problems that need fixing on this site before there is time for that.
If your perception of customer service is so dashed by this inconvenience then maybe you would prefer the Mega Bucks Intel Galileo, with it's own site, this is one of the products that Massimo worked so hard to make a reality before the Rome Maker Faire.

do we know what that is and why is it more important than customer service

Ask yourself how much you are paying for that “customer service”. Then, ask yourself how much it might be costing the Arduino team to run this forum.

I'm paying the same for customer service here as I do on the other forums I frequent. But the difference is that I have bought 3 genuine Arduino devices whereas I haven't bought anything from the other forum providers.

The sort of customer service I'm thinking of wouldn't cost very much - just the visibility on this part of the forum of the person (or persons) who actually makes decisions about it - instead of getting other people to make excuses for him/her/them.

...R

I just realized that forum users and (hopefully) managers and developers don't have far to go for an example of a website that loads properly without screwing up everything else - look at one of the Global Moderators' stuff

...R

I have no problem with this forum using my iPad, (issue 1), on Safari, I have no problem using my Mac Book Pro late 2013, Firefox.
I had no problem using my Mac Book Pro from 2008 using 10.6.x but when I upgraded it to 10.9 (like my new Mac Book) I got the scrolling jerking. However a week after upgrading it broke, just a coincidence, so I can't investigate the "fault".

If you can offer some help into why this might be happening then there is a chance it could be fixed but it is not a problem as such with the forum it is something at your end that the forum is aggravating. If the person looking after the forum software can not reproduce the fault then sure as eggs is eggs he can't fix it.

I use Chrome on a Win Vista laptop, IE8 on a Win7 laptop, and Chrome on another Win7Pro laptop. I am not seeing any jerky scrolling.

Finally some constructive input - thanks.

I am using the Forum on a netbook with Ubuntu 12.04 and Opera (though it's the same with Firefox) and using a 3G phone as my internet access mechanism.

I'm sure my internet access is not always as fast or as smooth as it would be for people connected to land-based broadband but all my comments are about the differences between the behaviour of this Forum and others on the same PC.

I know virtually nothing about browsers, how they work and what might impact on their performance so I don't know where to look for bottlenecks. Pointers would be welcome.

I am quite happy to provide as much useful feedback as I can to the website developers or managers but I am intensely irritated by the fact that they continue to hide in the background.

This jerking didn't happen before the website was "improved". Perhaps if somebody had made a list of the changes that were made it would help to "debug" problems.

...R

I use Firefox (currently 25.0.1) in W7 Pro / 64. I saw the issue with the browser locking up briefly every few seconds before and after the move to the new forum software. I haven’t got any evidence to suggest whether it’s caused by the Arduino site. In my case it seems to be a progressive problem that can be cleared (temporarily) by restarting the browser. I suspect it’s a browser resource exhaustion issue, and I suspect that the critical resource is memory - my system has vast amounts of memory free but the browser routinely has a private working set around 1GB and I suspect that’s not a use case that got a lot of attention.

If this is the only forum/site that displays the jerky scrolling, slow loading font shifts, and IE non compatibility warnings at the top of the page, then the problem is with this forum. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... Obviously repair of the forum is beyond the capability/desire of the owners, so maybe a commercial enterprise will start an alternative (how about it China?).

so maybe a commercial enterprise will start an alternative

There are lots of those already, maybe you would like to move over here:-

zoomkat:
If this is the only forum/site that displays the jerky scrolling, slow loading font shifts, and IE non compatibility warnings at the top of the page, then the problem is with this forum. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... Obviously repair of the forum is beyond the capability/desire of the owners, so maybe a commercial enterprise will start an alternative (how about it China?).

It's clearly not the only badly written forum, but ust because there may be others that are as bad or worse doesn't excuse poor performance here.

What really bugs me is that I suspect that many hours of work went into making it this bad. If they had settled for a simple system with a lot fewer development hours it would have cost less and worked better.

...R

Robin2:
What really bugs me is that I suspect that many hours of work went into making it this bad. If they had settled for a simple system with a lot fewer development hours it would have cost less and worked better.

Amen to that! :smiley: