Is serial communication possible between Arduino Uno and Nano 33 board?

I want to do serial communication between Arduino Uno and Arduino Nano 33 IOT by connecting RX-TX pin.
However, no serial transmission from the Nano33 to the Arduino Uno.
By the way, Uno becomes.
Isn't Uno and Nano serial communication?

I attach the code I tried.

Arduino Nano33 code
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop() {
Serial.write('a');
delay(1000);
Serial.write('b');
delay(1000);
}

Arduino Uno code
char data;
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
}
void loop() {
if(Serial.available())
{
data = Serial.read();
Serial.println(data);
}
if(data == 'a')
{
digitalWrite(13,1);
}
else if(data =='b')
{
digitalWrite(13,0);
}
}

What is a Nano 33 - I can’t see it on the Product page.

An Uno and a regular nano only have one HardwareSerial port which is used when talking to the PC and uploading programs.

For communication between an Uno and another Uno or nano you should use SoftwareSerial to create an extra serial port on two other I/O pins and use them for inter-board communications. Also make sure you have a GND connection between the two boards.

As far as the software is concerned have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data. There is also a parse example to illustrate how to extract numbers from the received text.

The technique in the 3rd example will be the most reliable. It is what I use for Arduino to Arduino and Arduino to PC communication.

You can send data in a compatible format with code like this (or the equivalent in any other programming language)

Serial.print('<'); // start marker
Serial.print(value1);
Serial.print(','); // comma separator
Serial.print(value2);
Serial.println('>'); // end marker

…R

What is a Nano 33 - I can't see it on the Product page

Keep up at the back !

It is part of a new range of boards with the same name and form factor as the original Nano but actually quite different from them. Confused ? We will be when there are queries about "Nanos"

For instance Nano 33 BLE

Note that the Nano 33 boards are 3.3 volt, while the Uno is 5 volt.

UKHeliBob:
Keep up at the back !

Be kind enough to post the link to the item in the Resources / Products section :slight_smile:

I suspect it is someone else that needs to keep their website updated so the right hand and the left hand know each other.

Why would I go to the store if I don't want to buy something?

...R

There is already a link to this and other Nano 33 products in the Products section of the forum which takes you to here Nano 33 products

UKHeliBob:
There is already a link to this and other Nano 33 products in the Products section of the forum which takes you to here Nano 33 products

I appreciate that you are trying to help but I can't see it on Arduino - Products which is where I get to with Resources/Products

...R

Use the “Jump to” pick list at the bottom of the page where you are reading this and there is a forum section for Products which is where I meant.

UKHeliBob:
Use the “Jump to” pick list at the bottom of the page where you are reading this and there is a forum section for Products which is where I meant.

I don’t think I have ever scrolled lower than the Quick Reply box - after that come the dragons :slight_smile:

All I see at the bottom of this page is a place to subscribe for a newsletter and the usual rubbish icons for facebook etc

…R

Only way I can see Nano 33 items is to go to the store and pick new products.

The "Jump to" pick list is not quite at the bottom of the page, rather it is underneath the REPLY, MARK UNREAD, PRINT and NO ALERTS OR EMAILS buttons
Click it, scroll down to the Products section and choose the product

Robin2:
I don't think I have ever scrolled lower than the Quick Reply box - after that come the dragons :slight_smile:

It's just above the quick reply :smiley:

Just go to the store and use your browser's search function :wink:

UKHeliBob:
The "Jump to" pick list is not quite at the bottom of the page, rather it is underneath the REPLY, MARK UNREAD, PRINT and NO ALERTS OR EMAILS buttons
Click it, scroll down to the Products section and choose the product

Thank you - sorry for being slow.

But that just brings me to the Products section of the Fourm - I could easily have scrolled down to that - assuming I had been there before and new what it contained.

And. as far as I can see there is a subsection "Nano Boards (NEW types)" - how is anyone supposed to know to look there to find something that ought to be easily findable in Resources / Products.

Of course if the Resources / Products is totally out of date why isn't it removed and replaced with a link to the Store.

...R

In case you just want to get things up and running, use this, easy to use, fast, and reliable serial transfer library.

Sorry I did not notice sooner, your code uses Serial() on the Nano 33 IOT, that is the USB port, the Rx/Tx pins are Serial1. There is still the problem of the Nano 33 being a 3.3 volt device.