is static triggering my pins?

I'm stumped. This is my first Arduino project but this seems like weird electricity stuff.

I have a sketch loaded. It all seems to be working except for one thing. It keeps reading rapid button pushes form one particular pin. Sometimes other pins, but mostly whichever pin is the highest number of the ones that are plugged (incidentally, as it gets physically closer to GWD pin). After a ton of trouble shooting...

Its not my project wiring
I removed the Due from my DIY foot switch console. I ended up with just my DUe only having one wire in one pin (just a 5cm wire sticking up in the air and touches nothing). Nothing is in GWD. The usb goes to my laptop. Thats everything. It fires rapidly. I plug a short wire (connected to nothing) into the GWD and it stops. But then I move my hand within 10cm from the DUE and then the pin is firing rapidly again. Then, I unplug the power adapter for my laptop. Works fine. That can't be the solution though. My project relies on this being USB connected to this laptop.

I thought maybe there's some weird dirty electricity in this room. I plugged into a power cleaner (musicians have these as our power strips in order to remove speaker buzz). Made no difference.

Its not the code
Not that is seems like it could be. But I did try a basic sketch online and that one is just as sensitive. Especially the higher the pin #.

It's not a faulty board
I bought another identical DUE and it behaves the same exact way.

Again, this is my first project. Maybe this is obvious and you're laughing at me. But I can't make sense of it. This project is useless to me if its going to press buttons from static in the room. I'll be on stage with this thing surrounded by all kinds of horrible voltage. And all other devices work fine.

Hey its not often we get a laugh.....JK.

Pins can "float" causing all sorts of issues seemingly random.
There are a few ways to overcome that from defining pull up or pull down or change wiring to shielded and adding decoupling capacitors.

Also without schematics pictures and code anything we say is pure guesswork and not really helpful to you.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.

Please note that my knowledge of electronics is limited.

I ended up with just my DUe only having one wire in one pin (just a 5cm wire sticking up in the air and touches nothing).

That's called an antenna :wink:

Nothing is in GWD.

What is GWD? Did you mean GND?

Then, I unplug the power adapter for my laptop.

Ground loops?