Is the Arduino 2 IDE installation alongside the classic IDE or a replacement?

Pretty much what it says on the tin. The installation pages for the Arduino 2 IDE beta don't make it clear (unless I'm just not seeing it for some reason) whether installing the v2 IDE replaces the classic installation, or if it can be installed and run side-by-side with the classic installation. The latter, I hope. Thanks!

Hi @GeekRedux. You are free to have both IDEs installed at the same time. The Arduino IDE 2.x installer won’t affect your classic Arduino IDE installation, and the classic Arduino IDE installer won’t affect your Arduino IDE 2.x installation.

I have them both installed on my Windows machines.

You can also use the “Windows ZIP file” download link if you don’t want to use the installer. You can just unzip the downloaded file anywhere you like and then run the “Arduino IDE.exe” executable you’ll find inside the unzipped folder.

I have the 1.8.13 version installed, and just installed the 2.0 beta, which did not uninstall the 1.8.13 installation. I can run both version at the same time.
Hope this helps.

pert:
Hi @GeekRedux. You are free to have both IDEs installed at the same time. The Arduino IDE 2.x installer won't affect your classic Arduino IDE installation, and the classic Arduino IDE installer won't affect your Arduino IDE 2.x installation.

Thank you both, @pert and @russellc42, just what I wanted to know!

pert:
Hi @GeekRedux. You are free to have both IDEs installed at the same time. The Arduino IDE 2.x installer won't affect your classic Arduino IDE installation, and the classic Arduino IDE installer won't affect your Arduino IDE 2.x installation.

In my instalation, the Arduino IDE 2.0 bring all preferences, boards and libs from 1.8.13. Including the last file I've open.
Now I'll try to make a portable version of de 2.0.

fabio_coder:
In my instalation, the Arduino IDE 2.0 bring all preferences, boards and libs from 1.8.13. Including the last file I've open.
Now I'll try to make a portable version of de 2.0.

Ok. I just unzip the .zip file and works like a charm. The only issue that I downloaded the basics boards (e.g. UNO) but It works fine.
Now I have 2 Arduino (1.8.13 and 2.0) runing in a flash drive.

fabio_coder:
Ok. I just unzip the .zip file and works like a charm.

I'm glad to hear it!

fabio_coder:
The only issue that I downloaded the basics boards (e.g. UNO)

In order to provide a fast start for beginners, the classic Arduino IDE comes with a bundled copy of the Arduino AVR Boards platform of the Uno, etc. boards. Unlike the boards you install via Boards Manager, this bundled Arduino AVR Boards is installed in the Arduino IDE installation folder.

Arduino IDE 2.x does not currently bundle any boards platforms or libraries. It uses the same folder as the classic IDE for Boards Manager installations, so you'll find those are shared between the two, but it can't access the bundled Arduino AVR Boards platform in the classic IDE installation folder.

So this is the reason why it's necessary to install Arduino AVR Boards in Arduino IDE 2.x if you have never done a Boards Manager installation of that platform before in the classic IDE.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.