Is there a code where i am able to switch on/off an appliance?

I am new to arduino, i just started like few days all. I am really new to programming, i am a 20 year old female majoring in electrical engineering. In my project i am trying to imply arduino to maybe a basic switch on/off a appliance. Help a girl out!

I NEED SOME CODING SENSEI :confused:

Under what conditions would the appliance be turned on?

Under what conditions would the appliance be turned off?

Research "isolated" relay modules for Arduino (eBay and Google). And make sure you [u]understand[/u] safe construction / wiring practices for mains electricity.

Indeed, use a relay. One that is designed to work with Arduino, and that can handle the load you plan to put on it (as you're studying electrical engineering, I assume you know how to handle mains wiring).

wvmarle: (as you're studying electrical engineering, I assume you know how to handle mains wiring).

Not a valid assumption. Many colleges teach almost completely theory, and mains power would be a final year or Masters degree specialization.

The very first program you should have learned is Blink. If you can turn on and off an LED, you can turn on and off anything. The only difference is some hardware in between your signal and the device to be controlled.

How do you want to control the Arduino to control the appliance? A button, switch, phone, remote, computer?

Give a thorough explanation of what you are trying to achieve and you will get good help.

aarg: Not a valid assumption. Many colleges teach almost completely theory, and mains power would be a final year or Masters degree specialization.

More like due to personal interest, or don't electrical engineers fiddle around with electrical stuff in their spare time any more these days? In secondary school I already knew how to do basic house wiring - taught to me by my father, and out of my interest in how stuff works. It's not that hard after all. I'm not an electrical engineer, by the way. I chose chemical engineering instead.

wvmarle:
More like due to personal interest, or don’t electrical engineers fiddle around with electrical stuff in their spare time any more these days?
In secondary school I already knew how to do basic house wiring - taught to me by my father, and out of my interest in how stuff works. It’s not that hard after all. I’m not an electrical engineer, by the way. I chose chemical engineering instead.

I’m a lot like you, but it’s a different world now. We had a graduate BSEE intern that put one probe of a DVM on only one side of a battery, and was confused about why there was no voltage.

Makes you wonder how they even got to graduation. Seriously. Without any hands-on ability one can't be called an engineer.

wvmarle: Makes you wonder how they even got to graduation. Seriously. Without any hands-on ability one can't be called an engineer.

One can now.