Is there a way to replace buttons on IDE?

I can’t stop wondering why buttons are what they are, I am probably
just stupid or blind, but I keep pressing wrong one every now and then.
My brains are working different way during the day, so “Verify” and “Upload”
buttons just don’t work for me as they are.

I am not saying that design is bad, but that is what I’m saying…?
Would it be nice to have buttons with text? Are they images, can they be
replaced with custom images?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kari

arduino-ide-buttons.jpg

GaryP:
Would it be nice to have buttons with text?

The button name text is shown to the right of the buttons when you hover the mouse pointer over it:

Clipboard01.png

GaryP:
Are they images, can they be
replaced with custom images?

Yes. They are located in the lib/theme subfolder of the Arduino IDE installation folder. My recommendation is to copy the entire theme folder to your sketchbook folder (you can find the location of the sketchbook folder in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location), then modify that copy of the theme. The reason is that changes to the theme under the Arduino IDE installation folder will be lost when up update to a new version of the Arduino IDE, whereas the contents of the sketchbook folder persist through updates.

More information on the Arduino IDE's theme system (including notes on what the various graphics files are for) here:

Clipboard01.png

Thanks Pert!

I really hate every single popup while moving/hovering the mouse, I would like to meet that idiot who invented that.

My opinion is that everything should be seen clearly without moving mouse and need to wonder, where can I park that sucker without getting new popup. I personally program all my interfaces with text on the button (including shortcut info for the keyboard)

Arduino IDE is terrible, all available com-ports should be seen with customizable text, I don't remember what board I have behind which port when project is on.

But, if there's even a little chance to help with button images, I am glad!
:slight_smile:

Cheers,
Kari

GaryP:
I personally program all my interfaces with text on the button (including shortcut info for the keyboard)

I've discovered that buttons without text make my support work here on the forum more difficult. I could say "Click the right pointing arrow button (Upload)", but I feel that "Sketch > Upload" leaves less room for confusion, even though nobody actually uses the Sketch > Upload menu option in preference to clicking the Upload button.

GaryP:
Arduino IDE is terrible, all available com-ports should be seen with customizable text, I don't remember what board I have behind which port when project is on.

This happens when you use the boards that use a general purpose USB chip (e.g., FTDI FT232, WCH CH340). These chips come with a manufacturer supplied VID/PID pair, so there is no way to determine which board they are on. All the active official Arduino boards except the Nano have a custom VID/PID pair, and their ports are labeled with the board name.

In addition to using boards like the Nano that have a general purpose USB chip, I also have several consumer electronics devices attached to my computer that use these chips. This made it very confusing to try to figure out which of the unlabeled ports was my Arduino board. To make this less of a problem, I created a dummy hardware package that labels the ports that are from common general purpose USB to TTL serial adapter chips:

It turns this mess:

into this:

I find it to be extremely useful.

GaryP:
if there's even a little chance to help with button images, I am glad!

I'm certain you'll be able to customize the buttons to your preference. If you run into any problems, let me know. I made some buttons for my custom Arduino IDE themes:

so I have some experience in this.

After you have created the perfect theme, maybe you'll publish it so others can use it too?