Is there any way to use webpages for display?

So I'm new to arduino, and while I know the basics of it I'm not terribly advanced as yet, so this may be a little out of my depth to ask...

I see a lot of info about putting data from an arduino onto the internet, but I am struggling to find a way to take internet data and display it on an LCD. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but if anyone could point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it!

The reason I ask and why I'm jumping ahead of my learning curve a bit, is because I'm doing a project on identity in our current culture, and I wanted to display someone's friend or follower count in real time on a brooch. The project is coming to a particular so my time is limited, hence my rush ahead of my learning curve!

The theory is the same for any language like using php to get friend & follow count. You can google that.

When you wear a personal ego trinket to tell yourself and others how popular you are, that itself is a statement about identity in our current sick, sad culture.

There are two parts to your problem. Well, there may be more than 2, but the two big ones are getting the data to display and displaying the data.

The first one requires that you make a GET request. Specifically how to do that depends on whether you are using an Ethernet shield, a WiFi shield, or a GSM shield.

The GET request is made to a server, so you have to know where the data of interest is. The GET request also defines the name of the script to run, on the server, to get the data of interest.

That you have to ask this question suggests to me that you have no clue what hardware to use, what server has the data of interest, or what script to execute to get the data. Am I wrong?

PaulS:
There are two parts to your problem. Well, there may be more than 2, but the two big ones are getting the data to display and displaying the data.

The first one requires that you make a GET request. Specifically how to do that depends on whether you are using an Ethernet shield, a WiFi shield, or a GSM shield.

The GET request is made to a server, so you have to know where the data of interest is. The GET request also defines the name of the script to run, on the server, to get the data of interest.

That you have to ask this question suggests to me that you have no clue what hardware to use, what server has the data of interest, or what script to execute to get the data. Am I wrong?

You would be correct, while I know some amount of programming I'm aware this is far beyond my current knowledge. I've been able to work with that before, I wanted to see if it was even moderately possible first. While I want to learn and learn properly, this idea came quite suddenly towards the end, if it is possible, great, I'll try it and if I fail, then I haven't lost much. If not I can put it as a concept and move on. I just like trying as many of the concepts as I can.

GoForSmoke:
When you wear a personal ego trinket to tell yourself and others how popular you are, that itself is a statement about identity in our current sick, sad culture.

That's kind of the point, it's supposed to be about how identity is viewed in a culture of smartphones and social media.
Im making a comment on it, it's not necessarily a positive comment.

Forget about the Arduino, for a moment. How would you use your PC/laptop/cell phone/whatever to get the information you are seeking?

Is the device you want to make going to be portable? Over what range? That defines the kind of hardware you need.

Having stretch goals is great. There is nothing like hitting the ice water in the deep end to make you learn to swim. But, wishful thinking will only get you so far.

You may want at the Adafruit Feather HUZZAH which has headers that fit a tiny LCD. Then compare options versus that.

Adafruit is good because they really support their product with tutorials and libraries.

There are LOTS of hardware options in this crowded space!

PaulS:
Forget about the Arduino, for a moment. How would you use your PC/laptop/cell phone/whatever to get the information you are seeking?

Is the device you want to make going to be portable? Over what range? That defines the kind of hardware you need.

Having stretch goals is great. There is nothing like hitting the ice water in the deep end to make you learn to swim. But, wishful thinking will only get you so far.

It is technically portable because it is a wearable, but as I said it is mostly a concept piece so it doesn't need much range and will basically only be shown in the one building.

On my phone I would literally just search their Instagram.
That is essentially what I want to do , show their Instagram and have it refresh periodically to show if it has updated.
I've not ever tried to connect a piece to the internet like that before, and while I googled it I was obviously looking in the wrong place because I was getting tutorials on the opposite process.

Even if it fails, once I know what extra parts to order I can still give it a try, the attempt is taken into account in my working process and it's an art project, not a technology project.

On my phone I would literally just search their Instagram.

I'm behind the times, apparently. I have no idea what that means.

But, I assume that involves a browser and a URL. If so, right click in the browser window, and choose the option that allows you to view the page source (the raw data that the server returned). Can you parse that data to get what you want?

The feather that BulldogLowell suggested is a good choice. It's small, it's powerful, and it has WiFi built in. As long as you can connected to a WiFi network, you can get the device to make a GET request that looks just like the one you made with the browser on your phone. Then, all you need to do is read the response, and extract the data of interest.

And, yes, I said that with a straight face.

AerisFelidae:
That's kind of the point, it's supposed to be about how identity is viewed in a culture of smartphones and social media.
Im making a comment on it, it's not necessarily a positive comment.

Once the rich twats running social media see it they will get their own made and sell millions. The Kardashians will show them off and every empty headed git under 40 will have to have one. Then we can get to see how many ways there are to inflate instagram or other scores. Want to please your boss and keep your job through the next round of cuts? Vote her and her daughter up every chance you get.

The real trick would be programming a cellphone to get the data on command and send that to the trinket to display. Make the phone do the heavy lifting.

GoForSmoke:
The real trick would be programming a cellphone to get the data on command and send that to the trinket to display. Make the phone do the heavy lifting.

even better idea... the Bluetooth Version of Feather may be a good option amongst BLE alternatives.

Looks nice for overkill.

The smartphone has the net connect and OS. Which should be easier to program to get data from the net, the Feather through the phone or the phone itself?

GoForSmoke:
Looks nice for overkill.

The smartphone has the net connect and OS. Which should be easier to program to get data from the net, the Feather through the phone or the phone itself?

You've made a few such comments so I think I need to give a little more context -

I'm a Contemporary Jewelry student. Contemporary jewelry is a strange place, the work doesn't have to be wearable or practical or sane, it just has to make a point.
My work is focusing on the relationship between identity and social media. Good or bad, it has a large impact.

So yes, what I'm asking for is overkill, but it's supposed to be art jewelry reflecting how I see people treating social media - which is to show it off like a jewel, "I got 5000 likes! I'm almost at 3000 followers!!"

It may not be the most direct method of showing how many followers you have, but wearing and displaying it in real time is different to just checking. It's not practical at all, but the concept is what matters

Is it more to the undying concept if the net-code is in the phone or blingie?

I second the recommendation of an Adafruit Feather HUZZAH board. You can get a Wing with an OLED display, and the board has a battery connector and charging circuitry already onboard, perfect for a wearable IoT project.

There's a couple projects on Adafruit that do something similar to what you want, and you may be able to find clues if you look at the code for them:

Twitch On-Air Sign
CheerLights

I can't give you any more specific help than this, since I have nearly 0 knowledge of web programming. Good luck.