Is this a good budget soldering iron?

INTP:
Showing the wrong side if you have a point about soldering :slight_smile:

here it is :), I didnt had one at that time. Soldering might not be neat, I am still learning that skill.

Link to the soldering iron I am using.

IMG_1647.JPG

sarouje:
I use a very cheap soldering iron, cost me not more than $5 (300 Indian Rs). People might laugh at me but It does my job well till now. I dont solder stuffs on a daily basis. So I think for a beginner starting with a low cost soldering iron is not an issue, once the person feels more advanced soldering requirements and can spend money later for a soldering station.

Do you use a wire holder/third hand tool to hold whatever you're soldering, and is there any way you could link me to it?

CanadianCyanide:
Do you use a wire holder/third hand tool to hold whatever you’re soldering, and is there any way you could link me to it?

I use this third hand tool while soldering. That small LED light is also very helpful, which can operate from 3 AA battery or using a power adapter.

Some times I don’t use a third hand, just lay the board on my desk and solder it.

I use this third hand tool while soldering. That small LED light is also very helpful, which can operate from 3 AA battery or using a power adapter.

In the past, I ve tried using some of these holders but it just didnt work. As someone else pointed earlier, the whole setup tends to tip over.

These days I mainly work with SMD components which means I only work on once side of the board with tweezers. When I do need to solder through hole things, I use some adhesive tape (pvc electricians tape or even paper tape) to hold the component in place on one side while soldering it on the other.