Is this a good LCD option from Oscsys?

http://www.oscsys.com/product_info.php?products_id=40

I don’t have much experience with soldering, and it says that this LCD’s pins come pre-soldered on. Does anyone have experience with this company? Being a 20x4, would I have to use the 8 bit mode, or could I use the 4 bit mode of the LiquidCrystal library?

HD44780 LCDs are more or less interchangable and should all generally work in either mode with the LiquidCrystal library. That looks like a pretty good price for a blue 20 x 4 LCD.

The pins are on the bottom of the LCD. All mines have pins on the top. If you just use it to breadboard, fine, if you want to put it on a PCB, make sure that's what you want. I like the ones with pins on the top so I can put the ATMEGA chip and buttons below (not underneath) the LCD. There's still space to lay the wires. Just IMHO.

The pins are on the bottom of the LCD.

Or, the photo was taken with the device upside-down. That store caters to the BrewTroller project, and while I can't say I've used that exact LCD or even seen a real photo of that exact LCD, every BrewTroller photo I've seen on various forums has shown a classic "pins at the top" LCD.

FWIW I've seen "upside-down" product photos of LCDs from other vendors and on eBay, where the device is shown powered down with the pins at the bottom, but upon buying the LCD and powering it up, it was apparent that the pins should be at the top, i.e. the product photo was upside-down.

Of course if you were extra-picky you could ask the vendor to be sure.

The pins are on the bottom of the LCD. All mines have pins on the top. If you just use it to breadboard, fine, if you want to put it on a PCB, make sure that's what you want. I like the ones with pins on the top so I can put the ATMEGA chip and buttons below (not underneath) the LCD. There's still space to lay the wires. Just IMHO.

That's a very good point. When I buy these on ebay I always make sure I get them with pins on top AND bottom for maximum flexibility when it comes to housing them in a box.

(e.g. this one)