Is this a good starter pack

is This a good starter pack:

It looks like a reasonable starter kit. Obviously, it depends on what you want to do after doing the basic projects, etc.

What most interest me is like voice-controlled stuff(like say dimmer up, and the lights in the room grow brighter), and portable applications. stuff like that

The starter pack will give you things to implement various leds, a few sensors that you can use to change state, and a motor or two. Obviously, you need to be able to crawl before getting into something like voice activation. The Arduino will not be able to do voice activation on its own, you will need either specialized chips that do this, or a cell phone that can translate voice commands to something like bluetooth.

For example, this shield from Sparkfun claims to be able to limited voice recognition (the shield would sit on top of the Arduino in your starter kit): EasyVR 3 Plus Shield for Arduino - COM-15453 - SparkFun Electronics

I figured voice-activation would take a long time for me to be able to grasp voice activation. I’m just saying in a professional place (I’m starting college for electrical engineering), after college and stuff I’d like to be able to make like a iron man style automation system.

Yep, I was just trying set expectations. Some people who have no idea of what an Arduino can do, come up with elaborate things they think a simple Arduino can do. For them, it might be better to learn how to program an Android phone instead of an Arduino, since you have so much more resources available.

I am pretty sure an arduino can handle a system like this but in order for that it would need more digital outputs and inputs than the standard uno. Maybe not have a advanced A.I. like that but you know lights on, door locked. It can do stuff like that.

Bresser:
I am pretty sure an arduino can handle a system like this but in order for that it would need more digital outputs and inputs than the standard uno. Maybe not have a advanced A.I. like that but you know lights on, door locked. It can do stuff like that.

Without using a specialized chip to offload voice activation, I suspect the Arduino just does not have enough memory to do speech recognition. It isn't a matter of how many digital input/outputs, but more of how much memory the processor has to work with and how fast it is.

Oh no, i understand that you would have to use a shield to do so. But it is possible even for an intermediate arduino user to utilize voice recognition

yes i think so. if you want to use the arduino for hardware-interfacing jobs like influence lights an so on should be no problem. applications like voice recognition are more software affine applications. so you can combine these two technologies. for interfacing both there are many possibilities. bluetooth, wifi, usb, serial-comm.
so, give the starter kit a try. if you like working with arduino you will buy the things, the kit doesn’t inclde

Oh i know. I learn quickly, so I already have semi-mastered the projects that are included with the kit. Besides a Shift Register, I still cannot understand how a shift register works. But like I modified a Stereo set to play a melody that is normally meant for a piezo element. Again Very basic, but it was a big step for me as it was my first project that I designed the circuit, and wrote the code all by myself. Even tho it was basic I had a sense of accomplishment when It was finished.