Is this a normal behaviour of a diode?

So I have a 18650 charger circuit with solar panel, and I used a 1n5819 schottky diode. However I can measure a 7.-ish voltage (there is a little drop through the step down converter I guess) on the marked point.

But when I am trying to put a load there (a fan) the voltage almost disappeares. I have also tested the diode with a multimeter and it worked properly.

You measure voltage between 2 different places, not in one place as per your picture. Where is your other meter probe connected?

PerryBebbington:
You measure voltage between 2 different places, not in one place as per your picture. Where is your other meter probe connected?

It's on the ground of course.

Where is the fan connected? I assume it's supposed to be connected to the batteries?

Are the batteries fully charged?

Does the fan run when just directly-connected to the batteries?

Or is the solar supposed to be able to drive the fan?

What's the voltage & current rating on the fan?

Have you got any specs on the charger module?

Have you got any specs on the solar panel?

When it's charging and current is flowing from the solar panel to the charger you should get about a 1/4V "forward voltage drop" across a Schottky diode. That is, the solar panel side of the diode should read slightly higher than the charger-side.

That is not behaviour of the diode, that is the fan drawing more current from the solar panel than it can supply, so the voltage at the marked point drops.

I think I could not explain what I meant, so I simplified the circuit. So if there is no resistor I can still measure voltage backwards of the diode. But when I put load there (resistor or anything), that voltage disappeares.
Is this normal from a diode?

tosoki_tibor:
It's on the ground of course.

There's never any "of course".

Oh! Leakage current.
What kind of diode? Silicon junction diodes have very low leakage and I would not expect to see anything much, Schottky diodes maybe something as they have higher leakage.

[EDIT]
I’ve just tried this for you with a Schottky diode and get pretty much the PSU voltage on the DMM. With a silicon junction diode I get almost nothing. I’m not surprised, Schottky diodes are leaky. The reason it goes away when you connect a resistor is that the leakage is tiny, as soon as you connect a resistor there isn’t enough current available to develop any appreciable voltage across the resistor, so you see little or nothing on the DMM.

++Karma; // For experimenting and trying to learn :slight_smile:

It is a 1n5819 schottky diode. I just want to protect my solar panel from current going back to it (i dont how how it's called), and I chosed this as I have read that schottky diodes have less voltage drop. I compared it to a 1n4007 and it seems to be true.

Schottky diodes have a much lower forward voltage drop than silicon diodes, they are also a bit leaky. Check the data sheet for details of how much a particular diode leaks (look for the reverse bias current).

I don't know if solar panels need protecting like that, solar panels are basically diodes, so maybe they don't. However, I don't know, consult the data sheet. As the title of this question does not hint at a solar panel maybe to get the interest of someone with the correct knowledge you should edit the title to mention solar panels.

A diode is required to prevent the solar panel from discharging the batteries when it is dark. To see why, take a look at the equivalent circuit of a solar cell:

You don't gain much by using a Schottky diode instead of an ordinary silicon diode.

PerryBebbington:
I don't know if solar panels need protecting like that, solar panels are basically diodes, so maybe they don't.

It is not a matter of "protecting" the solar panel, it is essential to protect the battery from discharge!

Solar panels are indeed diodes - whose forward voltage goes up during illumination so that they pass current in the reverse direction (remember that is what a photodiode does!) in order to charge the battery. But when they are not illuminated, the voltage drops and without the diode, the battery discharges back through the panel. :roll_eyes:

Of course, that is why you use an actual charge controller which incorporates the diode or "active diode". :grinning:

Thanks Paul, never used one.