Is this battery OK

7.2 V 2000 mAh

I picked up a charger and battery like this one at Radio Shack. It was $5 on clearance so I figured what the hey...

I'm mostly messing with hobby servos now using 7805 regulators so I figured 7.2V would be a good fit. I plan on getting into little DC motors in the future.

Any input? I imagine they are for little speed demon cars and such...

Definitely good.
I would use a DC-to-DC down-converter (<$5 on ebay) rather than a linear regulator like 7805.

florinc:
Definitely good.
I would use a DC-to-DC down-converter (<$5 on ebay) rather than a linear regulator like 7805.

Thanks. I’ve been looking into switching regulators and other options. Seems like the 7805’s are a bit crude from what I’ve read.

Nice buy on the battery. However don't attempt to wire 7.2vdc directly to most hobby type servos as they are normally rated to run at 4.5-6.0vdc. A +5vdc switching regulator is a very good choice. Note that using an arduino in a project you have a choice of using the 7.2vdc directly to the external power connector (or the Vin pin) or you can wire an external +5vdc regulator output directly to the arduino 5V pin.

Example of a 7.2V DC to 5V DC converter

Thanks! Another thing I didn't know existed.