Is this chip programmable by Arduino?

Hey guys,

I’ve found this project on the net, using the Atmel AT89C2051. Is this chip programmable using the Arduino? And not to burn the bootloader, but a .hex or binary file.

Thanks in advance,
Wouternet

That chip emulates the old 8051 processor. It's not an AVR processor so I don't think Arduino will be able to work with it. Check the datasheet and see if it supports In Circuit Serial Programming.

I may be way off… but back in the day when I started using AVRs (and left the '51 behind) I seem to remember that the 2051 was the greatest because it had a bootloader. Question is, was it implemented by someone or provided by the manufacturer? I think someone made it, but at the time didn’t bother figuring it out as I never used it.
Good news is, if there was a bootloader for it, chances are that it may take some kind of ICSP. From the manual, it seems like it is programmed by bitbanging the code on 4 pins. There is, however, a problem about raising the Reset pin to 12V… not sure how you’d accomplish that with an in-system programmer.
Give it a google on AT89C2051 bootloader.

Another problem you might run into is that I don’t think there is a free C compiler for the '51 family. I used the Keil compiler and it was expensive at the time. Plus, I know the 2051 doesn’t has all the bells and whistles you get from an AVR chip. Is the application complicated? Can you port it to AVR maybe?

I'm making a hardware PS/2 keylogger, described on: http://www.keelog.com/diy.html

Were you able to complete your project?
If yes, how?

-Sorry for pushing, but this is exactly what I’m looking for so I didn’t want to start a new topic.