Is this display compatible?

Ok, in this case I would create a subclass of SPIClass, that adds the missing methods with the additional parameter(s) and calls the methods of the base class without that parameter.
Then I would need to make the library use an instance of this subclass, maybe by using a #define SPI SubclassInstanceName.

But I would create my own library anyway if I had this display, or add it to one of my libraries.
Unfortunately this display is more expensive than the tax-free limit of Switzerland. VAT is low, but customs handling of swiss post adds a substantial handling fee in these cases.

Jean-Marc

Those are used to reference the pin number for the CS (chip select) line to the SPI device, which apparently is handled by the processor hardware in the DUE.

There are multiple other warning in that library, particularly with multiple ' if (string == "x") ', which should be using strcmp().

All,
I contacted the sales person at BuyDisplay and had a few back and forth emails. They are very helpful however it's becoming obvious to me that a considerable amount of effort will be required to get the 10.1 inch display working on the Mega. This effort includes writing libraries, desoldering the pin 40 header on the display and replacing it with a cable connector, getting hold of a different shield (the shield supplied was for the Due). So, I decided to purchase a Due and await its arrival.

The reason I went for a Mega was two fold:

1. I searched for a 10.1 inch Mega compatible screen and the ByuDisplay screen appeared. (compatible with a lot of effort)
  2. The version of Mega I use has an integrated ESP8266 which does the wifi communications to my TPlink smart switches and Modbus TCP wifi to my solar generator. A neat package which works well. It currently has a small 3 inch touch screen.

So now I'll try the Due which the display was tested with and libraries written for. I've loaded the Due board types from the IDE board manager and the example files compile where they did not with the Mega 2560.

So, now I need to test the Mega to see if it has damaged the Due shield or display. The shield is 5VDC @ 1 Amp. I used a supply slightly under capacity of 5VDC @ 0.7 Amp. All was quiet, no smoke, no heat no program in Mega so I think all will be ok. I may have to get a better power supply but I was hoping what i had on hand would be ok for demo testing.

I will use an external ESP8266 and connect serially via the board pins from one of the four serial ports or (hopefully) micro USB to micro USB. That comes later. First things first: I'll get the display working with the Due. Should be straight forward....stay tuned.

Regards,

Brian

All,

Success! Received my Due in the post. Took only two days. Ordered it from Core-Electronics in Victoria. It's an original Arduino product. Plugged everything together and turned on....boom awesome. Worked immediately.

Ardunio Due 10inch screen1
The Due comes with a neat protective plastic back casing.
Ardunio Due 10inch screen2
I uploaded the Capacitive Touch example sketch which I got directly from the BuyDisplay web site. Worked immediately.
Ardunio Due 10inch screen3
Everything plugs in neat but for permanent install better mounting is required as the Due and shield are support only by the 40 pin header so I would not want to rest the display on this without support.
Ardunio Due 10inch screen4
The shield needs to be externally powered. I only had a spare 5VDC 0.7Amp supply and a 1Amp supply is recommended. I didn't have a little plug so simply temporarily soldered the supply wires directly to the PCB pads on the shield. I'll get a better supply and proper plug for the permanent installation.
Ardunio Due 10inch screen5
These are the two power supplies I used. The big one on the right I borrowed from a USB HD and is rated at 12VDC, 1.5Amp. I used it on the Due. The Due can accept 7 to 20VDC on the supply plug. The little power supply I had in a spare parts bag. I think it belong to some old mobile phone charger from time long ago. This is the 5VDC, 0.7Amp supply for the shield (note: needs to be 1Amp for long time use).

So, I won't conclude this post just yet as I have a lot of testing and development work to do so may add more content to help others.

**I will advise clearly though, unless you are an experienced wiz with writing libraries (I am not) then do not use the Mega. Use the Due. **

It is a much more capable processor and works straight out of the box. BuyDisplay responded to my requests in a timely manner. The display and shield turned up in around two weeks from China and was very well packaged and protected. They also have an option to add a Due as a bundle (I didn't take this up as I originally intended to use the Mega).

I think the Mega can work. So if you are really enthusiastic and have plenty of time and want to crack that nut then go for it. A different shield needs to be purchased which is not advertise and you will need to contact BuyDisplay sales people so they can arrange the special order via email and not their web site. The 40 pin header needs to be removed etc. A lot of work.

For all others spend the approx AUD$75 and use the Due.

Best regards,

Brian

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I'm waiting for my 9" touch display to come in and I was debating between using a Mega and a Due (I was leaning more towards the Due anyways). Thanks for re-assuring my decision. I know have my Due at the ready and I can't wait for the screen to arrive so I can try everything out.

Classified 123,

Excellent. Definitely use the Due. It's a pity I couldn't (easily) use my Mega 2560 as it has an integrated ESP8266 so from a form factor it is neat. I've never used a Due or knew much about them. Go to YouTube and search for Arduino Due. There's a few video's on it's specifications. The Due appears to have grunt. Zoom, Zoom!

This video is pretty much how it went for me. Note: you will have to provide an external power supply to the shield:

I only tested the touch screen on the capacitive example sketch (see the demonstrator's hand go across the screen). I'll test more examples over the weekend and add any findings here. Thereafter I'm not sure how quickly I'll progress with my project as I'm developing an SD card routine associated with a smaller 3inch TFT screen. That's version 3 of my Energy Management System project. The big touch screen will become version 4. After I finish testing the big touch screen I'll probably put it on the shelf for a few weeks and finish off version 3 before transferring the project to version 4. I'll either add my development findings in this post or create a new post. Good luck with your screen and keep in touch.

Regards,

Brian

1 Like

Thanks for your insight Brian.

Right now I plan on using my screen to display text (I'm working on an Arduino A.I System) to display my A.I's commands (So, it'll say "Hello" to me and display "Hello" on the screen). Then, in the future I hope to add buttons so I can tap them and activate Led's, play music or something else.

I'm fairly new to this too, so we'll see.

Regards,

Extra