Is this Mega broken or what?

Hi,

Today i wanted to continue writing and testing the script for my Mega 2560, but it the editor doesn't recognize it anymore.
The last time i disconnected it, it was still functioning perfectly.
No connections other than the usb connection and the SDA and SCL from my lcd were connected to the board while i was working on it, so it can't be a wiring fault.
I connected my Uno and everything was working fine, so it's not the usb cable or usb port or something.

In device manager, the Uno shows up under "Com ports" with the name "Arduino Uno" and has com10 assigned to it.
However when i connect the mega, it shows up under "Other devices" with the name "USB2.0-Serial".
In the editor i have the mega board selected, but I can't select a com port. When it's connected, the power led is on and the led connected to pin 13 is blinking, but very dim.
Is this a driver or board problem(or both?), or can i throw the mega in the trash can?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: When i connect it to another pc the led is blinking bright, but it's still not recognized.

Sounds like the river for the Mega isn't working right. Is there an option to uninstall or update the driver?

johnwasser:
Sounds like the river for the Mega isn't working right. Is there an option to uninstall or update the driver?

Well i wouldn't know how to explicitly uninstall the drivers, since the installation is merely pointing windows to the drivers folder of the arduino install dir. How would i do that?
I find it rather strange that it wasn't a problem the previous time i connected it.
Since the power led is on and led 13 is blinking, does that exclude any chance that the board has become bad or is that still possible? Thanks for your help, by the way.

Are you using the new 1.6.5 release and windows 7 64 bit mode ?...

grlind:
Are you using the new 1.6.5 release and windows 7 64 bit mode ?...

I've been using 1.6.5 from the start, but on win8.1 x64.
That shouldn't be a problem though, i've been able to upload to the board before.

You can test if the Mega chip is still working if you have a ISP programmer or another arduino. In that case you can use the arduinoisp sketch to turn your arduino into a isp programmer. EDIT: Your atmega16u2 may not be working properly or you have a driver problem.

12458:
You can test if the Mega chip is still working if you have a ISP programmer or another arduino. In that case you can use the arduinoisp sketch to turn your arduino into a isp programmer. EDIT: Your atmega16u2 may not be working properly or you have a driver problem.

I don't have an isp programmer but i have a working uno, but how would i do that anyway? The mega's avr is soldered to the board, like everything else on the board..

I think it is the ftdi chip.(which converts the serial on arduino to usb)
It's a cloned arduino, and has probably a a cloned, unlicensed ftdi(ft232) chip.
Around a year ago, the f***ers at ftdi admitted to have their driver brick unlicensed ftdi chips, in particular the ft232 which is also used in arduino. I'm almost 100% sure this happened in my case, because my genuine uno still works fine.
you can read it here: FTDI admits to bricking innocent users' chips in silent update | ZDNET but if you google unlicensed ftdi you come across tons of similar articles.

What is the part number on your broken Mega board's USB-to-serial chip?

Maybe you should try it on MAC. In my case I didn't install any drivers for UNO and MEGA.

dmjlambert:
What is the part number on your broken Mega board's USB-to-serial chip?

it's the CH340G, i already found the right driver for it. there's tons of posts about it on google; i't as simple as downloading and installing it, and then match the com port numbers. The point is you have to know that this device-bricking-driver ís in fact the actual problem.

I think a prominent post should be made about this problem, maybe i could be added to the 'read this before you post here' post. I've seen lots of posts where this is probably the answer, it'd save a lot of time for many ppl.

The mega does connect now, but thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Nick2012Future:
Maybe you should try it on MAC. In my case I didn't install any drivers for UNO and MEGA.

lol i don't have a mac and don't know anyone who has, and buying one for this purpose i slightly overdone :stuck_out_tongue: but as i explained in my previous post, the problem is already solved. it's indeed the ftdi chip, but thanks for asking.

There is no device bricking driver for CH340G and that chip is not related in any way to FTDI, nor does it use FTDI drivers.