Is this project (making it fun for people to throw away waste) possible to make?

Hi guys,

For a school project I've come up with a concept that makes throwing away your waste in a bin fun. By throwing away something you'll hear a voice recording from the before you that threw something away. When this voice recording is done playing it's your turn to say something to the next person who throws something away.

I was thinking this possible by using a motion sensor detecting waste when thrown into the bin. This would trigger the last voice recording and after that prompt the user asking for a new voice recording.

The problem is... I have no knowledge of programming in C or C++ whatsoever. I have a makey makey though but I didn't get any further than the basic stuff. Is this possible for a complete noob to program? Are there any excisting codes I could use for this? Any step towards the right direction would help alot!

You could modify the below gizmo to keep things entertaining.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=insulting+parrot&_sop=15

So you actually DO have a sense of humor after all.... XD

raschemmel:

So you actually DO have a sense of humor after all.... XD

That and much, much more! 8)

I suspect this project would be easier with a RaspberryPI which could use the standard Linux sound recording and playback features and could be programmed with Python. The RPi also has sound hardware as standard.

I don't know if you can do motion detection with a RPi - I presume you can - but if not you could connect an Arduino to it just for that.

...R

Maplin / velleman do a kit which records and plays back using a custom chip

You will find digital recording/ playback modules of an appropriate capacity available on eBay, DXtreme, Newfrog and such, which have a digital interface which should work with the Arduino.

Boardburner2: Maplin / velleman do a kit which records and plays back using a custom chip

This (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/single-message-record-and-playback-kit-n57dc) is indeed something I could possibly use. But how do I connect it with a makey makey? Note that this is the first time for me that I'm actually going to create something with it.