Is this safe?

Hey guys,

I have been considering automating a few power outlets in my house.

This guy explains how to connect an outlet, ardunio uno, and relay.

I would like to replace the 12 gauge power cable he used and just connect directly inside the wall to the power running from breaker. Have everything nicely tucked behind the wall so it looks like a regular outlet.

My concerns are..

• How likely is it that something will go wrong here and the outlet catches fire and burns the whole house down.

• How likely is it that something will go wrong here and the appliances connected to the outlets (ex, tv. computer, toaster, etc) will be damaged?

• Is the equipement he used good? If anyone has better suggestion for relay to use, I'm all ears. This [(LINK)](http://1,993 7,794 Published on Nov 14, 2013 This video shows you how to build a solid state relay outlet to control a variety of high power devices. If you are not comfortable working with mains electricity do not attempt this build. I take no responsibility for any damage done to you or your home. Parts List: Solid State Relay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State-R...) is the one he used in the video. It seems to fit well in the outlet box.

Flawed,

The fact that you're asking these kinds of questions leads me to give these answers:

1. Very likely.
  2. Very likely.
  3. Yes, but as the video shows, you'll have to fabricate a working unit. And it won't be cheap either.

May I point you in the direction of the X10 system instead? For example, X10 SR227 is a wall outlet that goes directly inside the receptacle. With that in place, at a minimum you'll need a controller like X10 MC460 that will allow you to control 8 different X10 units. If you want Arduino control, you'll need something like X10 CM17A in conjunction with an X10 TM751. That combination will allow you to control a maximum of 256 different X10 units with an Arduino setup. There are many different kinds of X10 units that you can choose from to help you realize your concept of home control. Then, it's just a matter of writing your sketch using available Arduino libraries for these X10 devices.

-geeq

Its much safer and cheaper to just use radio controlled power outlets.
Many of them use SC2272 decoders so you can easily control them with an Arduino and the RC switch library.
Just google Radio control Power Outlet.
Many companies make them.

geeq:
Flawed,

The fact that you're asking these kinds of questions leads me to give these answers:

1. Very likely.
  2. Very likely.
  3. Yes, but as the video shows, you'll have to fabricate a working unit. And it won't be cheap either.

May I point you in the direction of the X10 system instead? For example, X10 SR227 is a wall outlet that goes directly inside the receptacle. With that in place, at a minimum you'll need a controller like X10 MC460 that will allow you to control 8 different X10 units. If you want Arduino control, you'll need something like X10 CM17A in conjunction with an X10 TM751. That combination will allow you to control a maximum of 256 different X10 units with an Arduino setup. There are many different kinds of X10 units that you can choose from to help you realize your concept of home control. Then, it's just a matter of writing your sketch using available Arduino libraries for these X10 devices.

-geeq

This looks great man thank you! I was able to cut the price down to about 25 bucks an outlets with the way I planned it, but this looks like a much safer and cheaper way of doing it.

Thanks again for the info man, going to start doing some homework on these this weekend!