Is this stepper motor powerfull enough?

Hi all,
I am strating a project with arduino and a steppermotor. My entire house is getting ‘smart’ with home assistant and the last things left are the curtains. So programming whise i know what i need to know, but I have never worked with stepper motors before so I thought i’d ask. I found this stepper motor. It has got 2.8a of input and 100N/cm torque, also it is 700gram. The motor has to pull two curtains for about 1.5m each (the curtains are moving toward eachother). I’m hoping the stepper motor could do it in about 10 seconds. I guess that the weight needed to do this is max 600 gram constant pull for both curtains combined.
See attachment for schematics curtain.
Thanks for helping already, I hope someone can help me with this information.

Stepper motor or regular DC motor will each need some kind of limit switches to know when to stop when opening or closing the curtains.

Regular DC motors and gear reduction are so much easier to work with.

Paul

Thank you Paul, tho i think I am going to put a small switch on one of the curtains to signal when the curtains touch so the motor knows when to stop. Anyway, i'll figure that out, there is just one thing I don't know and that is if the motor is powerfull enough, would you think it is?

SvenBosma:
Thank you Paul, tho i think I am going to put a small switch on one of the curtains to signal when the curtains touch so the motor knows when to stop. Anyway, i’ll figure that out, there is just one thing I don’t know and that is if the motor is powerfull enough, would you think it is?

Who knows? Get your spring scale out and measure the pull required.

Paul

I'll buy a spring-scale tomorrow. But lets say the curtains need 1kg of constant pull, would 100N/cm be enough? If the distance is 1.5m and the time of operation would be 10-15sec.

Here is a good introduction toward understanding the difference between force (N) and torque (N cm, not N/cm).

SvenBosma:
I'll buy a spring-scale tomorrow. But lets say the curtains need 1kg of constant pull, would 100N/cm be enough? If the distance is 1.5m and the time of operation would be 10-15sec.

And HOW do you intend to connect the motor to the curtains? The needed torque will either be reduced or increased.

Paul