Is this the right ATMEGA328? So cheap at 25 price break

Is this the right MCU for standalone projects? I still have half a dozen but this is really cheap if I buy in quantity.

That is good, they are $2.78 at Newark. I bought 20 recently, 328P-PU.

328-PU might not be the Pico power version, that's what the first P stands for.
You have to track down one of their application notes to see what the small difference in power is.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=ATMEGA328P-PU-ND $3.15 @ 25

http://www.newark.com/atmel/atmega328p-pu/ic-8bit-mcu-megaavr-20mhz-dip-28/dp/15R0268 $2.78 for 10+ (no break at 25)

Thanks CrossRoads.
The arduino uses pu not p-pu, right?
My application needs no power saving.

BTW, I will PM you about the inmojo.

-pu is the DIP package.
'328, '328P, and versions that might have an A: '328A, '328AP, '328PA; all will work.

Thanks for the inmojo info. Not sure I want to go into large qty building just yet :astonished:

No, the normal arduino uses ATmega328P-PU
(they are essentially identical; once you program in a lying bootloader, I think everything should work.)
(This probably means that digikey (and perhaps Atmel) is getting rid of their non-328P-PU stock...)

westfw:

No, the normal arduino uses ATmega328P-PU
(they are essentially identical; once you program in a lying bootloader, I think everything should work.)
(This probably means that digikey (and perhaps Atmel) is getting rid of their non-328P-PU stock...)

westfw, would I bootload the two types of MCU the same way? I've done P-PU (just checked my tube of 10) with arduino as ISP to bootload and was very easy to do. Any tricks one needs to do to lie in bootloader? I am trying to get a couple dozen PU considering the low cost. Thanks.

CrossRoads,

They don't require you to do any quantity. You can get a few or a dozen of boards, assemble them or do kits, then list on inmojo for any quantity you have in hand and sell there. It's more publicity than advertising yourself. Since I've used inmojo I have lowered to fab a dozen boards each time I sell out instead of sweating on my decision to make 100 or so boards and the trouble of haggling with the board house or middle man. You have a nice board there and you will need to provide some info online and hope others buy it anyway and inmojo is free to list unlike ebay :wink:

So my question is that because there is both a 328 and a 328p chip, are the chip signatures different? Is so does that mean the boards.txt file has to be edited to change the chip type when using a non p chip? Does AVRDUDE (as distributed with IDE 22) support both 328 and 328p?

Lefty

The differences between the 328-PU and 328P-PU are not obvious, and there doesn't seem to be a "migrating" app note on the subject. Since Arduino supports the 168 (and NOT the 168P), and the 328P (but not the 328), I doubt that any differences are relevant to Arduino.

My strategy would be to load the normal 328P optiboot (once you have a bootloader, it's the bootloader that tells avrdude about the cpu type for the purpose of uploading sketches) and let the Arduino environment think the CPU is a 328P. This would probably require a slight modification of the bootloader programming step...

I've got a bunch of plain 328s that I've been using. I found that the Arduino tools wouldn't talk to them (unexpected ID, as you would expect ) I ended up modifying optiLoader to put the bootloader for 328P on it. Other than that I haven't yet come across anything different about using them.

As far as I know they’re identical, except that the 328Ps have been binned to run on really low voltage (1.8v).
Maybe a process shrink resulted in them? I donno.

extent:
I've got a bunch of plain 328s that I've been using. I found that the Arduino tools wouldn't talk to them (unexpected ID, as you would expect ) I ended up modifying optiLoader to put the bootloader for 328P on it. Other than that I haven't yet come across anything different about using them.

Alright! I'll get a couple dozen and try. Thanks everyone!