Isolating Lipo battery on arduino MKRxx00

Hi all,

I'm using a 3.7v battery on a MKR1400 because I'm told the board needs it to cope with spikes in current to the GSM module.

I will only ever use the project on a 12v supply, so I want to cut off the lipo battery when the supply is disconnected.

I was thinking of using a loop of wire on the power connector... thus connecting the lipo when the 12v supply is connected. However, this brings out the 3.7 lipo battery to the chassis socket, and I don't really like the sound of that.

Plan B is using a single pole relay across the +ve battery output. It will be held open using the 5v for the arduino Vin.

Is there a better way?

If there's anyway to eliminate the battery completely, that would be nice.

Thanks.

Using 4 2.7V 1uF caps?

4 caps gives 2 pair.

Solder each pair in series.

Solder the series pairs in parallel.

Now you have one 1uF 5.4V super cap that could/should supply the necessary surge current when needed.

Thanks for your reply.
Would you put the super cap across Vin and GND?

I had considered using a big (something around 100uF) capacitor near Vin... would that achieve similar results? (that's what I did with the old GSM shields).

I've since really gone off the idea of a relay on all the time.

My supply to Vin will be a 2A switching regulator so it should really be able to cope anyway. I've gone back to the Arduino hardware page to see if I could find out why I specifically needed the battery connected. I can't find anything about it now! Perhaps I was confused, but I'm certain I read it somewhere.

I think exceeding the voltage rating of the capacitor circuit would be the limiting factor on which part of the circuit the capacitor bank would attach.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.