Issue accessing the forum using IE

I'm attempting to access the forum using Internet Explorer (version 11, running under Windows 7 Pro)

I'm logged in, but when I go to forum.arduino.cc I get redirected to https://id.arduino.cc/auth/login/?go=1%26returnurl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2F

The page says

You are already logged in. (if you are not automatically redirected in seconds, click here...)

I never get redirected, so I click on the id link. That takes me to my personal info page.

If I then click on the menu, Support > Forum, I get taken back to the "You are already logged in." page

Jeff

It is a forum problem, not an IE problem. Probably some type of cookie issue, or security issue IE is not buying into.

Copy of this posting.

Well, I am not using Safari.

There is a great temptation here to imagine the problems - and there are a few - with this discussion board, somehow relate to a browser. While there should be very few who consider themselves engineers (or employed by a reputable company) using IE, the problems do not arise from failings even with IE, or any other browser. :astonished:

It is probable that many problems are related to cookies, but all browsers handle these just fine. The fact is, other discussion (forum) boards with few exceptions simply do not cause these problems.

have same problems with Chrome lately.

Not investigated, but I assume it is related to the load of the forum that some steps are not handled in time as I see it happen in burst modes when I open multiple tabs simultaneously.

annoying :(

Using the version of IE that is used at my workplace (enterprise setup with heavy security) there is a taunt included in the forum page display that says I need to upgrade to a modern browser like chrome or fire fox. If this is the attitude of the forum operators, then I would like to see an arduino forum established by a more professional group or commercial entity.

zoomkat: Using the version of IE that is used at my workplace (enterprise setup with heavy security) there is a taunt included in the forum page display that says I need to upgrade to a modern browser like chrome or fire fox.

And that is basically what I was saying.

zoomkat: If this is the attitude of the forum operators, then I would like to see an arduino forum established by a more professional group or commercial entity.

But then by definition, you would have people who had no idea what they were doing, so what's the use of that? That's the whole point! :D

I had exactly the same problem today, running Win 8.1 and IE. I logged in with Google Chrome and there was no problem.

I am also seeing this problem on Google Chrome (Win 8.1.) Someone mentioned that it could be related to having multiple forum tabs open simultaneously, and that is certainly the case with me ;-) I have had at least a few forum tabs open at the same time, along with at least a half-dozen other tabs, when this problem has reared its head.

So perhaps the forum software has an issue when a user has multiple forum tabs open at the same time?

Just trying to add some data to the pile, hope it is helpful to someone ;-)

It is not a tabs problem. I also have IE11 at work and get the same "you are already logged in" screen. After a few days, I tried IE11 on my Win7Pro laptop at home, and get the same thing. So it's not a work security setting thing as I thought originally. I have written webmaster@arduino.cc several times, tried again today and included Massimo Banzi on the request to fix this, mb@arduino.cc. No response yet, no performance change yet.

CrossRoads: No response yet, no performance change yet.

It's a lost cause.

The forum software is - as it so often declares itself - badly Broken. It has been stated in previous discussions that the same "SMF" works fine on other forums, suggesting that this is a configuration problem that the webmaster(s) have simply been unable to master over the lifetime of the forum; I for one do not believe this, it may be the case that other forums (fora) using the software are simply so lightly loaded that they appear to work properly, but certain obvious "features" such as the spurious redirects with the frustrating "token" indicate nothing more than plain and blatant incompetence in programming the forum software itself, well beyond the ambit of the webmaster(s).

I fancy they are as frustrated as we are, but it simply isn't practical to "port" the forum at this late stage to a proper software base.

The only other possible explanation which comes to mind is that there is some persistent and bizarre conflict between SMF and nginx.

It may also be the case - presumably is - that the server and its channel is massively underpowered and that this is a cost consideration.

Well, I hope they can find a fix. I can't do anything but browse during the day now, putting the occasional helpful post out of my reach.

Which just may shed some light on the (more recent) behaviour of the software.

I just went to read my "inbox" via the (almost) top right Avatar icon and opener but found it would not work. Puzzled, and against usual practice, I decided to enable a site called "jquery.com" in NoScript and Lo and behold, it now flagged two new posts and the "opener" now worked. In fact, all (Arduino) tabs automatically reloaded (and I am aware of the use of jquery on other sites.). Now I do not recall previously enabling "jquery.com" (and I am fussy about such things) and it appears this library can either be cached on the same Web server, or linked to the main "jquery.com" site - in which latter case, the site will need to be whitelisted by NoScript or any similar security module.

I rather wonder whether the apparent change from local to served from a third-party site (is this a form of XSS?) is responsible for the (various) recent change(s) of behaviour - and the fact that "jquery" is used at all, explains in some part the shocking sluggishness and unreliability of this site?

Check your NoScript (or equivalent function).

Despite all the chaos caused by the latest forum upgrade on the 20th, this particular problem still seems to be alive and well... :(

Woo hooo! Something changed. I can log in with IE11 & there is a reply box now. Echo of characters typed is slow tho. That will be annoying in the long term.