I am playing with the ESP8266 chip on an Arduino Uno, programmed through a macbook 10.15.
I wired the ESP8266 chip following this post
and checked carefully the wiring. The ESP led is on, so I assume it is alive.
I have the exact same model of ESP8266 chip.
These are the following (painful) steps I went through:
- Install arduino 1.8.12 (to accomodate mac OS 64bits)
- Install the thingspeak library (to connect with the cloud later)
- Add the esp8266 json link in arduino Preferences
- Load Library ESP8266 2.6.3
- Choose the ESP8266 board in the board manager
- Got the javanullpointer error, which apparently is to ignored (?)
- installed python 3 manually
I start with the Blink in Example > ESP8266. The compilation goes fine.
When uploading I then always get an error:
with the ESP8266 library 2.6.3 I get
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
Following an advice I downgraded the library to 2.5.0, but then got the error
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
I have read through various forums and documentations,
many "Solutions" seem to pop up, but they are so different that they sound like witchcraft,
now honestly I am stuck. De profundis clamo!