Issue install bootloader to Arduino IDE, not displaying in board list

Hello i am trying to burn a bootloader to my Mega2560 but at the moment i can’t even get it installed on my IDE :confused:

I’m trying to follow these instructions listed in this link MicroBridge-Arduino-ATMega2560

I have placed the hardware folder in myDocuments/Arduino/ folder and restarted the IDE but nothing ?

What am i doing wrong or is the instructions out of date with the current IDE ?

Here’s the boards.txt file
boards.txt
Please can someone help me, thank you.

It's an outdated hardware package. It's only compatible with Arduino IDE 1.0.x. The reason it's not showing up in the Tools > Board menu is because the architecture folder is missing. Likely there are a couple other problems. It shouldn't be too hard to update it to be compatible with modern Arduino IDE versions. There is a guide for doing so here: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/wiki/Arduino-Hardware-Cores-migration-guide-from-1.0-to-1.6 Although the guide talks about Arduino IDE 1.6.x, any 1.6.x compatible hardware package is also compatible with Arduino IDE 1.8.x so don't worry about that.

Ah thank you, I shall read that now and get to it tomorrow as its late now, and if I get the whole thing working I shall reply in this thread with the updated version.

Ok i have just managed to flash the bootloader. I used my TinyUSB isp tool to flash over the bootloader to my Mega2560, i does say it failed but the IDE is wrong and just expects the wrong bit for confirmation "I know this for an old post and experience when using the TinyUSB isp"

I made a new board in the boards.txt file located in:

C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.17

And a new bootloader folder named microbridge in the bootloader folder of the same directory copying the entire folder contents bootloader files

microbridge.name=Arduino Mega2560 Dual SD Boot

microbridge.vid.0=0x2341 microbridge.pid.0=0x0010 microbridge.vid.1=0x2341 microbridge.pid.1=0x0042 microbridge.vid.2=0x2A03 microbridge.pid.2=0x0010 microbridge.vid.3=0x2A03 microbridge.pid.3=0x0042 microbridge.vid.4=0x2341 microbridge.pid.4=0x0210 microbridge.vid.5=0x2341 microbridge.pid.5=0x0242

microbridge.upload.tool=avrdude microbridge.upload.protocol=stk500v2 microbridge.upload.maximum_size=258048 microbridge.upload.maximum_data_size=8192 microbridge.upload.speed=115200

microbridge.bootloader.tool=avrdude microbridge.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF microbridge.bootloader.high_fuses=0xD8 microbridge.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFD microbridge.bootloader.file=microbridge/stk500boot.hex microbridge.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F microbridge.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

microbridge.build.mcu=atmega2560 microbridge.build.f_cpu=16000000L microbridge.build.board=AVR_MICROBRIDGE microbridge.build.core=arduino microbridge.build.variant=mega

I shall now wire up my SD card module and place a Bin file of the .ino code named firmware.bin onto the SD card and set the EEPROM address see if it works, "after some lunch :P"

I'm glad to hear you're making progress. Once you verify it's working, you might consider submitting a pull request to the MicroBridge repository. It's not clear whether that project is actively maintained anymore but even if your PR doesn't get merged, it could still be very helpful to others who want to use that project with modern IDE versions.

I have some progress, i have the bin file on the SD card and when i set the EEPROM address to 0XF0 and reset the Mega it just gets stuck in a loop forever and does not flash the code, if i set the EEPROM address back to 0xFF by flashing a new code or it stops the loop if i remove the SD card but again does not flash the code, one of the collaborators for the library said i have to set the correct SPI pins and recompile the bootloader. But it says the default is 50,51,52,53 and that's how i have it wired, and i can read the SD card fine using the SD card library and the EEPROM is set correctly.

He says i have to change this part

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------; ; MMC hardware controls and Flash controls (C)ChaN, 2010 ;---------------------------------------------------------------------------; ; Hardware dependent macros to be modified

//sparkfun microsd //#define DDR_CS _SFR_IO_ADDR(DDRB), 0 // MMC CS pin (DDR, PORT) //#define PORT_CS _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTB), 0 // i2GPS //#define DDR_CS _SFR_IO_ADDR(DDRB), 2 // MMC CS pin (DDR, PORT) //#define PORT_CS _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTB), 2

// Arduino Ethernet

define DDR_CS _SFR_IO_ADDR(DDRB), 0 // MMC CS pin (DDR, PORT)

define PORT_CS _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTB), 0

define DDR_CK _SFR_IO_ADDR(DDRB), 1 // MMC SCLK pin (DDR, PORT)

define PORT_CK _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTB), 1

define DDR_DI _SFR_IO_ADDR(DDRB), 2 // MMC DI pin (DDR, PORT)

define PORT_DI _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTB), 2

define PIN_DO _SFR_IO_ADDR(PINB), 3 // MMC DO pin (PIN, PORT)

define PORT_DO _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTB), 3

But i have no idea what that means, can anyone tell me what pins this is using at the moment, and hwo i can recompile the bootloader ?

See the notes in this link

https://github.com/FleetProbe/MicroBridge-Arduino-ATMega2560

KawasakiZx10r created a new thread where discussion of the previous post is happening: