Issue the Serial/COM Port

I am building a small robot and would like it controlled by my phone. I got it all set up on windows but I would like to use it on my small linux laptop. I use processing to send the serial data to the arduino and the arduino port it says my arduino is connected to is called /dev/ttyACM0. When I try and use this as my port in processing it says that it does not exist. Is there anyway to get it set up so that I can view it as a regular com port instead of the /dev/ttyACM0 thing?

Your port may be being interfered with by modem-manager, or you may just not have access to the port.

If you have the modemmanager package installed (it is by default on Ubuntu) then remove it.

If you don't have permissions to access the serial port then set the right permissions (on Ubuntu you must be in the dialout group)

I've never noticed modemanager on my Ubuntu - I've just checked and it is installed but it doesn't seem to interfere with anything.

Try the commands "lsusb" and "dmesg" which may show that the Arduino connection also has another name. You can also create your own UDEV rule to give a device an additional name (google ubuntu udev rules).

...R