Issue Uploading to Arduino UNO (using IDE 1.8.12)

Hello,
I've found myself running into a problem when trying to use the IDE to upload my code to my UNO. My code is all sound, but no matter which port I have the board plugged into, it gives me an error message.
I've noticed that when I do have the board plugged in, while it does light up (indicating it's on), the computer doesn't register it.

I've also noticed that, while trying to troubleshoot this, clicking on "Get Board Info" gives me a message saying "Native serial port, can't obtain info".

In any case, I really don't know what the issue is, or whether there are multiple issues I'm having. I've read through several things, be it on google or this forum, but still have made no progress in finding out what's wrong.

Error message:
"avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The semaphore timeout period has expired."

-I'm not exactly sure what this error message means, either. This is the second computer I've tried to use Arduino on, the first one not having any ports installed (I tried manually installing, but I still could not get it to work).

Did you use the Uno before with success?

Which Windows version? Are you using the Windows Store version or the Windows installer version? The former is known to show some issues at occasion.

What happens in Windows device manager when you connect the board; anything with yellow triangles? You say that your OS does not recognise it so COM3 is more than likely not your Arduino.

Is the USB cable inserted properly at both sides? Try another one, the one that you use might be broken.

Boards usually come with the blink-sketch pre-installed; does the L LED blink with 1 second on, one second off?

If your board is a clone, you might have to install drivers for it; inspect the chip closest to the USB port for a model. It might be a CH34x or CPxxxx; take it from there.

I would suggest to follow Sterretje advice. If that doesn't work I would try to reprogram the bootloader.

Find instructions to do so here: