Jacob's Ladder issues

Hi all - this is my first time using this forum, so please tell me if I am doing it incorrectly! I am trying to make a "jacobs ladder" using this voltage booster - Amazon Ardokit booster - and I have two questions:

1. Safety? I would guess this is pretty dangerous (and it arcs like 1"), but I'm worried about safety when touching it with one hand. I don't have a oscilloscope and I think this thing would fry my multimeter.

2. For some reason I am having trouble getting the arc to move along the two metal tracks. It just wants to stay in one place, whichever has the least space between.

Thanks!

It works by heating air, so the pair have to be vertical.
Are you wires vertical?

Yeah... it looks the same as others I have seen... Maybe the angle of the wires it a bit too sharp... Thanks!

mrwillcreates:

1. Safety? I would guess this is pretty dangerous (and it arcs like 1"), but I’m worried about safety when touching it with one hand.

Then don’t touch it.

mrwillcreates:
2. For some reason I am having trouble getting the arc to move along the two metal tracks. It just wants to stay in one place, whichever has the least space between.

Have you got the rods in the correct orientation, and at a suitable, fairly low angle between them?

The arc traveling up the rods depends on the air above the arc becoming heated/ionised, so that it breaks down more easily.

"Quick question"

It would have been a great deal quicker if the Title had been more informative so that I did not have to open your Thread to discover I know nothing about the subject.

...R

Yeah... good point

You better do not continue this project. There is a very high risk of injury or fire.

That amazon voltage booster is no good at all. To keep an arc going upward along a wire, you need more power. Just look at the size of a welding power supply or a welding transformer. They are very big, to keep an arc going. They also have AC, not DC.
A welding power supply can make an arc to melt metals. Any continuous arc will have a lot of power in that arc. For a Jacobs Ladder, you don't have to melt metals, but never underestimate the amount of heat and power in that arc.

Some transformers for Neon lights make about 20kV to 50kV AC. They have enough power for a Jacobs Ladder of 2 meters high. But they have also enough power for serious health hazard or to burn down your house.

In some Youtube videos a circuit with a small transformer is used with a high frequency. That makes a thin, more blue, tiny arc. So it is possible to have a Jacobs Ladder with less power in the arc. It doesn't have the plasma-like big burning arc of a Neon transformer though.
I also found a Youtube video of a DC Jacob's Ladder, so that is possible as well.

Normal Jacob's Ladder using a Neon transformer : High Voltage 12,000 Volt Jacob's Ladder Neon Sign Transformer Arc - YouTube
Over-the-top Jacob's Ladder (at 5 minutes) : Monster Jacob's Ladder 200,000 Volts - YouTube

mrwillcreates:
Yeah... good point

Thank you for changing the title.

I may not know what a Jacob's Ladder is - but I am content that that is my problem.

...R