jamvm test package

This is for JosAH and everyone wishing to contribute.
I’ve assembled a test package for the latest version of jamvm: find it attached. Try installing it on your yun and let me know if it works as expected

jamvm_2.0.0-1_ar71xx.ipk (93.2 KB)

I installed it and it ran the entire afternoon with the old gnu ‘classpath’ classes (that I had already installed); if you manage to build the configuration for the OpenJDK classes (implementing the latest JRE version) I’ll buy you a beer :wink: b.t.w. good job!

kind regards,

Jos

Can you give me some hints? Once I compiled it with --with-java-runtime-library=openjdk8 (8?), what do I do to use it with openjdk?

I’ve never seen it running; all I know is from the (terse) documentation. You should download an OpenJDK version (version 8 is the latest) and replace libjvm that comes with it (it’s the hotspot Java machine) with the one you have built …

kind regards,

Jos

Here it is: compiled with --with-java-runtime-library=openjdk8.
Please, document every single step you take to make it work as this will eventually become part of our documentation

jamvm_2.0.0-1_ar71xx.ipk (247 KB)

Hi, I contacted the author of Jamvm for a bit of documentation (as of now, I don’t even know which version, for what architecture, I have to download the OpenJDK classes). I’ll let you know if I made (a bit of) progress.

kind regards,

Jos

Did he/she responded?

Nope, nothing (yet); he was on his blog in August, but communication has been silent since then ...

kind regards,

Jos

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=296566.0

@sonnyyu: all I can see from your example is that jamvm version 2.0 runs fine with the gnu classpath classes on the Yun; it is supposed to run fine too with the OpenJDK classes (as you do on your other Linux machine); the OpenJDK classes are more up-to-date (Java version eight) than the gnu classpath classes (Java version five).

There are rumours (on the jamvm website), that jamvm is supposed to be capable to use the OpenJDK bootstrap classes instead of those gnu classpath classes, but I don't know how to do it (there's a total lack of documentation).

kind regards,

Jos

JosAH:

it is supposed to run fine too with the OpenJDK classes (as you do on your other Linux machine); the OpenJDK classes are more up-to-date (Java version eight) than the gnu classpath classes (Java version five).

It might be worth to wait Oracle official release. (OpenJDK SunJDK OracleJDK)

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=243572.msg1744588#msg1744588

JosAH:

it has to run with ‘classpath’, the GNU version of the core classes and they are only up to version 1.4 and has lots of bugs

I backported classpath 0.99 which is up to version 1.5. My goal is Yun supports enterprise DB ( Oracle, DB2), PDF, SSL…