Java on Linino?

Dear Friends,

I'm using php to process a lot of data stored in a sqlite database on the sd card. I'm not comfortable with php programming, i prefer to program in Java.

I'm thinking about the possibility to run java programs in the Yun. There is a available jre to download called jamvm, but it seems that the project is discontinued since 2010...

An alternative should be to compile a java program to machine code like this article explains:http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8757 .

Anybody has some experience on this or any alternative idea?

Thanks in advance

Well, the jamvm is discarded, because it need 8Mb to install, and I only have 4Mb available. I'm not sure wich packages can be uninstalled, I need another alternative...

[quote author=Roque Campos link=topic=204642.msg1506688#msg1506688 date=1387022687] Well, the jamvm is discarded, because it need 8Mb to install, and I only have 4Mb available. I'm not sure wich packages can be uninstalled, I need another alternative... [/quote]

Rootfs on External Storage: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot

I set up rootfs as 7366MB by 16GB class 10 Micro SD. Rest 8176MB format as VFat and share with Mac and PC.

root@Arduino:~# df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on rootfs 7543192 17540 7135816 0% / /dev/root 7168 7168 0 100% /rom tmpfs 30568 100 30468 0% /tmp tmpfs 512 0 512 0% /dev /dev/sda2 7543192 17540 7135816 0% /overlay overlayfs:/overlay 7543192 17540 7135816 0% / /dev/sda1 8372232 4 8372228 0% /mnt/sda1

sonnyyu,

This sounds very intriguing and I want to try it, but I have a few quetsions:

1. If I do this and boot without the SD card, will it just boot the original image?
  2. Which option did you choose, pivot / or pivot /overlay ?
  3. Which version of OpenWrt is the current version of Linino based on (and what r number) ?
  4. Will pushing the WLAN reset for >30sec still revert to factory image?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to avoid bricking my Yun, hopefully.

Thanks, Bjarne

1. If I do this and boot without the SD card, will it just boot the original image?

Yes once you remove MicroSD card, it will boot from original image.

1. Which option did you choose, pivot / or pivot /overlay ?

pivot root or pivot /overlay both works, pivot / use 1% space and pivot /overlay use less than 1% (0%) space.

1. Which version of OpenWrt is the current version of Linino based on (and what r number) ?

No idea, Wait Federico show us light.

1. Will pushing the WLAN reset for >30sec still revert to factory image?

remove MicroSD card, the run /usr/bin/reset-to-factory-anyway then reboot will bring back factory image. You could use hardware way as well.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to avoid bricking my Yun, hopefully.

Same here, I am waiting warranty is expired, then do hardware mod upgrade memory to 128MB.

Thank you for the response.

Do you use pivot / or pivot /overlay and do you see any advantage of one over the other?

Did you follow the instructions for OpenWrt 10.03 or OpenWrt 12.09, IOW did you install: block-extroot block-hotplug block-mount OR just block-mount

Edit: I just checked and block-mount seems to be already part of the install, so the question is, did you install the other two block-???

bjarne: Thank you for the response.

Do you use pivot / or pivot /overlay and do you see any advantage of one over the other?

Did you follow the instructions for OpenWrt 10.03 or OpenWrt 12.09, IOW did you install: block-extroot block-hotplug block-mount OR just block-mount

Edit: I just checked and block-mount seems to be already part of the install, so the question is, did you install the other two block-???

for my understanding only block-mount is needed, and it come with linino firmware. No software is needed to install.

I hope this can help: http://www.ardulink.org/arduino-yun-alternative/

You can use Java on a Raspberry PI or another SoC with a JVM and control Arduino from there with Ardulink.