Jeep Accessories Project

I'm very new to Arduino. I would like to try and build a touch screen interface to control the aftermarket lights on my Jeep. Is this a Feasible project with the items listed below?

ARDUINO MEGA 2560 REV3 [A000067]
NEXTION 2.4 inch NX3224T024 UART HMI Touch Display Smart LCD Screen Module

8-Channel 5V Relay Shield Module Board Optocoupler module Arduino ARM PIC AVR

I'm unsure but do not think I can use the Relay Shield Module as I don't think it can handle the light bars? So I'm looking for guidance for the relay section or other possible options.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

How much current do the light bars need? At what voltage? You can use about any relay that meets your specs. You can always make up a MOSFET driver for it.

I have not picked all my lights yet. But 90% use or come with a 12 Volt 30/40 amp 5-prong relay. So I guess I just don’t have the experience to know how to integrate those relays with the Arduino or if that is possible. Sorry I’m really new

peterb315:
So I guess I just don’t have the experience to know how to integrate those relays with the Arduino or if that is possible. Sorry I’m really new

Relays are not that difficult to interface with Arduino. You will find a lot of learning tutorial and videos, as you have the relay module so you just need to plug your pins correctly. If you share link of your relay module, I can provide you the circuit.

Thank you jackthom41. But I'm in the planning stage of this project and have yet to buy any components. Well, except for a couple of lights for the Jeep. I guess I'll just buy the items I listed above and give it a try and see what happens.

Hold off on the relay board - but get the regular relays for the lights and post the coil info here - I think you can drive them with the proper MOSFET and flyback diode - jackthom41 has graciously volunteered the wiring diagram - I am still a bit tentative on wiring so limiting my advice to others on that - if I fry my own stuff not a bid deal - but would feel bad if I reversed something for you

Good luck

Thanks for the advice saildude. I'll get all components purchased and repost then. It seems like a great community Thanks to all.

Add on systems in auto electrical may be straight forward.
However,integrating into late model systems microcontroller environment or any earth return switching usually end up in disaster for the new and unwary tinkerers.

Thanks for the heads up bluejets. Have to start and learn somewhere. I don't mind failing a couple of times.

If I were doing that project I would choose relays with 12V coils. You cannot drive the 5V relays with the Arduino 5V so an external 5V power supply would be required for 5V coils. 12V is readily available in auto systems so makes things simpler. I would choose relays with contacts rated at at least twice what the lights require. I would choose relays that are made for automotive applications. They are more robust than the cheap Chinese relay modules.

A MOSFET relay driver:

Choose a logic level MOSFET based on the coil current of the relay.

Thanks, groundFungus. I'll get to shopping.

peterb315:
Thanks for the heads up bluejets. Have to start and learn somewhere. I don't mind failing a couple of times.

In my experience, those that listen to quality advice do not go off willy Nilly regardless with their head in the sand expecting to make expensive errors.
Brings to mind a video from the '70s referenced to "I know boats".

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for relays to power your lights. you would be best to go to automotive or 4WD centre to get them, as they will be designed for this application, they will be 12V coils.

You can then use the 8 relay array to control them, as they may need more than 20mA coil current.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Interesting TomGeorge. So I can go ahead and build my waterproof relay box under the hood. using

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KJNPHJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1EQP448COWZL4&psc=1

and

Then build all my Arduino into the interior allowing me to run one group of lines from interior to under the hood. I guess with my inexperience I never thought of using one group of relays to control another.

I have to say this is an incredible way to get started on a project with so much into from people that know what there doing.

Hi,
Yes, they are designed for your application, waterproof and for switching automotive equipment.

Those relays can then be controlled by your relay array that will be connected to the Arduino controller.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Thanks TomGeorge, really getting excited about this. As I progress in my project and have other questions, is it best for me to start new topics or remain in this thread.

I am not Tom, but in my opinion, keep the questions in this post unless they deal with something totally unrelated to the lighting project.