Job Posting: R&D Interface Engineer

(moderator: if there is a more appropriate forum topic, please let me know)

JOB: R&D Interface Engineer

RESPONSIBILITIES:

This entry to intermediate-level position is responsible for assisting the Chief Engineer in the development and design of new products.

REQUIRED SKILLS:

?Hardware / software communication
?Prior experience with IO boards (Phidgets, Arduino, etc.)
?Programming in C and C++
?Knowledge of Visual Studio programming environment
?Software prototyping to convey quick ideas
?Works well both in a team and independently
?Highly motivated to create new gadgets / hobby electronics, etc.
DESIRED SKILLS:

?Prior hardware sensor projects (force, pressure, light, …) a plus
?Prior assembly language a plus
?Hardware to hardware communication across networks a plus
?Ability to quickly and efficiently convey technical and complex ideas
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:

?Bachelor of Engineering or Science
?Minimum 2 years of C/C++ programming
?Minimum 2 years of IO board projects
?Experience debugging and trouble shooting quickly
Great office work environment. If you strive to see your ideas turn into products that are distributed throughout the world, this is the place to be. Be sure to check out the company website.

About Laser Shot. Laser Shot, an industry leader in military and law enforcement firearms training and simulation, has developed and fielded unique, patented, military and law enforcement training solutions since 1999, incorporating the latest technologies to develop accurate, dependable, and safe firearms and related tactical training. For more information about the company visit the LaserShot website.
We offer Medical, Life Insurance, Matching Retirement Plan, Life Insurance, vacation time, paid holidays, sick pay?

If you feel that you meet the skills that the R&D Interface Engineer requires and would like to become a crucial part of the Laser Shot team, please e-mail your resume to research@lasershot.com.

Laser Shot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. We Value Diversity!

Range: DOE
Position: Full-time
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

Hey, Ive got this great idea about arming sharks with lasers. Interested? I work cheap as I'm presently retired.

Lefty

So where in the world are you or are we to assume because you don’t say it has to be the USA where they don’t think anyway else exists.

thats because it doesn't exist

Not hard to figure out...

http://www.lasershot.com/Contact%20Us/

I'm actually somewhat awestruck that someone in America is even thinking about creating jobs that an American might actually do.

the requirements are kind of light for anything serious

kind of like me, I meet most of the requirements, but probably make more as a box monkey manager at a piano warehouse

jaded yes, real for Y2k10 yes, there is not enough information, last job I saw with these requirements paid less than 15$ an hour and included phone support too

sorry, but if your going to require a BS + 4 years in totally different fields + "Experience debugging and trouble shooting quickly" (aka textbook tech phone support + customer relations) you could at least pitch a ball park salary (especially for a single post noob to this community)

"Experience debugging and trouble shooting quickly" (aka textbook tech phone support + customer relations)

In smaller companies, EVERYONE is involved in tech support. This is generally a good thing. It is good for engineers to talk directly to customers, and customer generally feel pretty good about getting to talk to actual engineers, even if they're a bit "scary looking."

So where in the world are you...

If I had posted the job listing I would have left out the location as well. Houston. Yeck!

I'd rather work here...

(With apologies to the original poster. I'm sure the office is in a wonderful, light traffic, low crime, pollution free part of Houston.)

So where in the world are you or are we to assume because you don't say it has to be the USA where they don't think anyway else exists.

GM is on form :)

I think we'll have to accept that Britain is a forgotten backwater this side of the Boston tea party.......

In smaller companies, EVERYONE is involved in tech support. This is generally a good thing. It is good for engineers to talk directly to customers, and customer generally feel pretty good about getting to talk to actual engineers, even if they're a bit "scary looking."

not if they are paying a happy meal an hour... and the customers I deal with cant even determine the name of a leg bolt being in the business for decades, they don't want to talk to a engineer, they just want stuff done

I seriously doubt a military company has any brighter customers, be real, these are the people who print instructions of how to boil water on MRE's

Wow, way to sell the community!

Good day,

The location for this position is in Stafford (near Houston), Texas in the US. My apologies for missing this in the original post and my thanks to those that pointed out that this was missing in the original post.

This position is as an engineer and provides a unique opportunity to those that would like to explore new innovations and functionalities that will make it to markets worldwide. Being in the R&D department here provides alot of flexibility to try out and experiment with new ideas. This is not a 'tech support' position: we are looking for highly skilled and motivated people able to design / develop / test and deploy such ideas.

For more information, please visit the lasershot website and I look forward to hearing from all interested candidates for this position.

To be honest... I don't think you went too off the mark posting this here either... a LOT of us ARE dang close to the person you are looking for...

Actually the job sounds great, I don't suppose you'd consider relocating the R&D section to outback Australia :)

Rob

sorry, but if your going to require a BS + 4 years in totally different fields

Honestly, any decent degree program should have given the experience he requires.

this side of the Boston tea party.......

still, we got one up on them on that eventually.

Could just be europ I suppose, but experience during the course of obtaining that degree, isn't considered 'work experience'. That said, 'work experience' is quite often abreviated to 'experience'.

If you use that as a measure, few people will ever qualify, because it is very rare for a software engineer to work in a hardware position, more common the other way around.. but still rare. If you consider that, it is very likely that that part is more of a 'guideline' than a requirement. Come on people, listen to the customer! even though they sometimes don't know their problem(s), if you listen to them.. mainly focus on the parts they're letting out, gives a decent indication on what they probably want ;)

In anycase, good luck with the position. There are certainly people here that could fill the position adequatly, if not properly.