JPEG Camera Linksprite requires IDE 0.0.23 :s

I tried to get a camera module to work which I ended up sending back to the supplier. They tested it and sent it back. They say it works fine but that I must use IDE 0.0.23 and the NewSoftSerial library.

Is it possible to use NewSoftSerial library in 1.7.6 IDE, since the errors on compilation are:

n file included from LinkSprite_cam_IR.ino:3:0:
/Users/quique123/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.h:33:2: error: #error NewSoftSerial has been moved into the Arduino core as of version 1.0. Use SoftwareSerial instead.
 #error NewSoftSerial has been moved into the Arduino core as of version 1.0.  Use SoftwareSerial instead.
^
In file included from LinkSprite_cam_IR.ino:3:0:
/Users/quique123/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.h:99:16: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void NewSoftSerial::write(uint8_t)'
   virtual void write(uint8_t byte);
                ^
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/Stream.h:26:0,
                 from /Users/quique123/Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.h:40,
                 from LinkSprite_cam_IR.ino:3:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/Print.h:48:20: error:   overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'
     virtual size_t write(uint8_t) = 0;

Is there a way to code around that when using the NewSoftSerial?

Which part of “Use SoftwareSerial instead” is unclear?

I love it when you guys get feisty.

I understand that. I've tried for the past 3 months to get this working on ide 1.7.6 and with SS (got quite a few posts in here about it). After much testing, I was told the unit might be faulty and sent it back. The supplier says they tested it and it works so they sent it back. The thing is they wrote me back saying I had to test it using ide 0023(which I got) and newsoftserial(which works on 0023).

Anyway I tried it and it doesn't work either.

Is this the code you are trying? http://linksprite.com/wiki/index.php5?title=JPEG_Color_Camera_Serial_Interface_with_Built-in_Infrared_(TTL_level)

If so, you can download a newer version from https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11610 (direct link to ZIP file: LinkSprite_Cam_IRa.zip)

Latest official version of the IDE is 1.6.6. The 1.7.x versions are from the arduino.org people, who are not the official arduino people (there is ongoing litigation regarding their use of the trademark - they're the former official manufacturer, trying to take over Arduino) - the version numbering is of course chosen to make it look like their version is the latest official one.

The supplier says they tested it and it works so they sent it back. The thing is they wrote me back saying I had to test it using ide 0023(which I got) and newsoftserial(which works on 0023).

Did they include their test code so you can try to duplicate their success?

1. I'll try that new code tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's the same code but using the software serial library but I haven't been able to open the zip file from my phone.

2. Weird that I somehow got that version because I got my original download from Arduino.cc. If I updated it it was because the program itself told me to do so.

3. Yes, they sent the pde file because they said I should use 0023 and the newsoftserial library. I ended up downloading 0023 and tried their sketch but it didn't work. So I wrote them asking for other options.

Yup, its the same code but with the SoftwareSerial library. I got a lot of heat for that sketch in my original issue way back. Since my question no longer needs an answer, because I already dl 0023 and tried the manufacturer’s sketch, Ill leave this post up to here and just link back to my original post where i go into the details of what I have tried:

Thanks