JSN SR-04T does not return distance

I am trying to use JSN SR-04T v3 with the following code (from https://www.makerguides.com/jsn-sr04t-arduino-tutorial/):

#define trigPin 4
#define echoPin 5
// Define variables:
long duration;
int distance;
void setup() {
// Define inputs and outputs
pinMode(trigPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(echoPin, INPUT);

// Begin Serial communication at a baudrate of 9600:
Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop() {
// Clear the trigPin by setting it LOW:
digitalWrite(trigPin, LOW);

delayMicroseconds(5);
// Trigger the sensor by setting the trigPin high for 10 microseconds:
digitalWrite(trigPin, HIGH);
delayMicroseconds(10);
digitalWrite(trigPin, LOW);

// Read the echoPin. pulseIn() returns the duration (length of the pulse) in microseconds:
duration = pulseIn(echoPin, HIGH);

// Calculate the distance:
distance = duration*0.034/2;

Serial.print(“Distance = “);
Serial.print(distance);
Serial.println(” cm”);

delay(5000);
}

The output give 15 cm or sometimes 1 cm no matter where I point the sensor (wall, ceiling, the led, etc). The red LED on the sensor keeps on blinking multiple times a second. I have 2 sensors and both of them show the same behavior. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Your code looks good. Assuming you have all your pins connected properly.

Not knowing any details on your setup I would start by checking the power supply to the sensor board. That board must create a higher signal to drive the waterproof sensor so at every measurement there will be a burst of current required.

I would also check the connections. The solderless breadboards are notorious for high resistance connections.

JohnRob:
Not knowing any details on your setup I would start by checking the power supply to the sensor board. That board must create a higher signal to drive the waterproof sensor so at every measurement there will be a burst of current required.

I would also check the connections. The solderless breadboards are notorious for high resistance connections.

This is just a test setup. I am using a base for the nano; the nano itself is powered by a usb cable from a port on my pc to the micro-usb port on the nano. There are 4 dupont jumper wires 20 cm long connecting the nano and sensor. The specs for the sensor say it requires max 30 mA. A usb 2 port can deliver up to 500 mA; nano+sensor is much less than this. I have also tried a usb 3 port on my the pc and a usb hub with a power adapter but the behavior is just the same. I have changed the jumper wires but it has made no difference. I got another sensor today but also behaves the same. I am stumped.

1. I have removed the nano base and connected the wires directly to the nano.
  2. I replaced the nano with an uno r3 with its own set of jumper wires.

I replaced the sensor with HC-SR04 and it works fine. I have tried 3 different sensors. Maybe the entire lot of sensor is bad. Or there is some other trick to get the version 3 sensors to work.

One thing which seems odd is that the led on my sensor starts blinking as soon as I apply power; the blink frequency does not change no matter what is the duration of the sleep command in the loop. Is this the expected behavior?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.