Jumbo scoreboard replatforming to arduono mega

I seem to have inherited a project that was abandoned after being started.

We have 4 individual numbers 4ft high and run by 10 light bulbs each (wired as 7 segments)

I bought: 2x 16 relay boards An arduono mega 2 switches (1 for increasing the number and 1 for decreasing) And some cables and connectors.

I didn't want to use an i2c chip because I felt the mega had enough pins(based on the fact sheet)

Does anyone have an example sketch for such a thing? I have seen a few 2 digit ones but no 4)

I planned to use the internal pull up resistor for the switches. Any issues there?

Any concerns with powering 28 relays? Each relay board has a power connector so really only need enough power to drive the board signals.

Is there an easy way to "turn off " the display? Could another switch just break it out of the relay firing loop?

Lastly- is there a recommendation for how often to write to the eprom? I want to store the number so I won't have to start from 0 but was concerned about writing it every minute.

All help is appreciated !

Simple solution for more digits: copy existing code and update the pin numbers.

For turning off the display you can use another relay, to cut the display supply voltage.

Writing to the EEPROM is sufficient on every change of the value.

DrDiettrich: Simple solution for more digits: copy existing code and update the pin numbers.

For turning off the display you can use another relay, to cut the display supply voltage.

Writing to the EEPROM is sufficient on every change of the value.

thank you sir!