Jumper wire safety?

Hi,

I wanted to know how safe are connections made with dupont jumper cables? My project is an arduino gas sensor with MQ6 module.

MQ6 module is placed in kitchen near the gas hob and the arduino is in the adjacent room. MQ6 module and arduino is connected via a 4 wire telephone cable with dupont jumper cables soldered on their ends.

Would the jumper connections create a tiny arc or spark when it triggers causing the gas to ignite in case of a leakage? :confused: Should I remove the jumper pins and solder the wires directly to the MQ6 board instead?

I wouldn't worry about arcs. Arcs form if a contact is mechanically moved, because it starts with an arbitrarily small distance that can be jumped by any voltage and then the arc stays because the air is ionized and conducts.* What I possible WOULD worry about in an explosive environment is the heater in the MQ sensor.

• That is one of the major advantages of AC: Arcs will extinct at zero crossing.

Ok but there could be a chance of loose contact in case of jumpers right?

The gas sensor heater element won't reach 300°C would it? If you have any suggestions on how to place the sensor then please advice. :)

Most AC switch gear in my house produce an arc momentarily when switched on or off.

Noobian: Most AC switch gear in my house produce an arc momentarily when switched on or off.

If Edison had won, they might have produced arcs until damage occurred. That is why the DC voltage rating of mechanical relays is usually considerably lower then for AC.