Jumper Wires M/M - maximum length

Hello everybody,

I'm an Arduino beginner user and I have a simple question: how long can be a jumper wire M/M?

For my project I would need a jumper wire circa 400 mm (circa 15 inches). However the only length I can find in the market seems to be 150 mm.

I have read that longer jumper wires can cause lost of data. But is it too long 400 mm (15 inches)?

PS: Is it possible to connect 3 jumper wires - 150 mm each (M/M - F/F - M/M) or it's not going to work?

many thanks

giorgio

buy a roll of wire and cut your own length. (unshielded)Long wires receives more noise.

Pelle

buy wire, pin headers and Heat Sleeve - Solder the pins on each end of the cable and wrap it around with the sleeve : ) Or just strip off a network cable, it's not going to be soft and it'll give you a lot of trouble, but it'll do the job.

If you connect various cables together, it'll not work so well and your project will become a mess!

oigroig: I have read that longer jumper wires can cause lost of data. But is it too long 400 mm (15 inches)?

Shortest answer, without more info, it'll 'probably' work. The variables are whether it's analog or digital. You said data which implies digital, but digital signals have analog aspects when wires gets too long. at that point it's a matter of how fast and sensitive the data signal is. However, 15" is usually not too long for a 'garden variety' digital signal.

If you have any problem the first easy fix is to twist the signal wire with another wire, and attach ONE end of that shield wire to -ground- at the SOURCE DEVICE end of the wire.

PS: Is it possible to connect 3 jumper wires - 150 mm each (M/M - F/F - M/M) or it's not going to work?

Sure, with the caveat that it's (much-much) easier to fall apart. It might also induce more noise and be unstable/unreliable, but you'll find that out after you try it. If noise, it's also open to the wrapped-shield trick.

thanks everybody for the advice!

Whats "M/M" ??

Male/Male?

MarkT: Whats "M/M" ??

Male/Male

Ah yes, seems obvious to me now!