Just started....Preloaded examples wont load??? Help!!!!

I have just installed the Arduino Uno that I got yesterday and was watching some tutorial’s on You Tube. After writing the blink tutorial and getting the “compiler” error below, I thought I would just use the preloaded example…unfortunatly it gives the same result. Can someone help me to understand what I have done wrong?

Thanks,

C:\Users\Laura\Desktop\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp:406: internal compiler error: output_operand: invalid expression as operand
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See URL:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=520074&group_id=68108&func=browse for instructions.

At this point I am getting discouraged to say the least....has anyone had this problem? I have even just tried to write a small program that just turns the led on without any blinking. Still same error. Nothing is going out to the board from my computer.

jshipp:
I have just installed the Arduino Uno that I got yesterday and was watching some tutorial’s on You Tube. After writing the blink tutorial and getting the “compiler” error below, I thought I would just use the preloaded example…unfortunatly it gives the same result. Can someone help me to understand what I have done wrong?

Thanks,

C:\Users\Laura\Desktop\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp:406: internal compiler error: output_operand: invalid expression as operand
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See URL:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=520074&group_id=68108&func=browse for instructions.

Check the troubleshooting sticky item in this section, just in case there is something obvious there. You should also share your platform details, even though we can guess you are using some sort of Windows.

Also, enable “Show verbose output during compilation” in the settings/preferences.

I am on Windows Vista. I originally tried to install everything on my old Acer laptop and had HORRIBLE troubles getting my com ports to recognize anything let alone the arduino....moved to my wife's dell also running Vista. Everything loaded up like a dream come true. I dont understand how the example code pre-written off the website wont compile. I have touched NOTHING in it other than "upload" I have tried it with the board connected and un-connected. Same compile error. If I wrote it I would be checking my code, since these are the examples I would hope they would be correct.

jshipp: I am on Windows Vista. I originally tried to install everything on my old Acer laptop and had HORRIBLE troubles getting my com ports to recognize anything let alone the arduino....moved to my wife's dell also running Vista. Everything loaded up like a dream come true. I dont understand how the example code pre-written off the website wont compile. I have touched NOTHING in it other than "upload" I have tried it with the board connected and un-connected. Same compile error. If I wrote it I would be checking my code, since these are the examples I would hope they would be correct.

There is a fair amount of magic that has to happen for the IDE to compile, link and flash the device. So, your first step is reproducing the failure with more verbose output and working backwards from there.

I should add that the examples do, in fact, run under the majority of situations. This is obviously a specific system issue of some sort that is causing a compiler error when creating the .hex target for the board. It never even gets to the point of trying to flash the device.

Further to this: let's simplify as much as we can. Try to build the Bare Minimum example: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BareMinimum

Well I think I just found my problem....Arduino + Avast Antivirus = issue I just reported. I rebooted and turned Avast off before I started the Arduino software. All the planets are back in line and everything works as it should.

Just FYI I have never worked with a micro-controller before however I have a need for a multi-timer to run several 12v/120v relays to hook up several standard plug in devices. I am trying to make a variant of a reef controller (I have a 90 gallon saltwater mixed reef fish tank) that I saw for several hundred dollars. I figure this project will cost be about the same however I dont learn anything by buying something and plugging it up.

I have two plugs that run a two stage t5 HO light. I have one plug for the moon lights. I have one plug for the refugium lights. I have two plugs that run my dosinig pumps (these will only need to run for about 2 mins a day) I have two plugs that run two Koralia flow pumps - at some point I want to figure out how to vary the voltage on these to simulate different wave patterns. I have one plug for the main 900gph pump I have one plug for the skimmer pump I have one plug for the heater

Currently I have a bank of wires, surge suppressors and timers that keep failing on me. I would like to have something more solid that controls all of this. If anyone has used one of these in a similar situation please direct me to some links.

Thanks

jshipp: Well I think I just found my problem....Arduino + Avast Antivirus = issue I just reported. I rebooted and turned Avast off before I started the Arduino software. All the planets are back in line and everything works as it should.

Yeah, real-time AV will do stuff like that.

Just FYI I have never worked with a micro-controller before however I have a need for a multi-timer to run several 12v/120v relays to hook up several standard plug in devices. I am trying to make a variant of a reef controller (I have a 90 gallon saltwater mixed reef fish tank) that I saw for several hundred dollars. I figure this project will cost be about the same however I dont learn anything by buying something and plugging it up.

[...]

Ah, well. There is a section of the forum called Project Guidance that may be more useful for specifics like this.

yea I often say AV is worse than the viruses they don't protect you against, in fact Norton as an example is more difficult to remove than most viruses sometimes requiring special removal tools and manual registry editing ... often to attempt an automatic reinstall everytime you right click something

2 cents

"Ah, well. There is a section of the forum called Project Guidance that may be more useful for specifics like this."

Thanks for the hint. Im not much on forum use either, I will get the etiquette and usage the longer I am on here.

jshipp:
I will get the etiquette and usage the longer I am on here.

Put code in
</mark> <mark>[code]</mark> <mark>

</mark> <mark>[/code]</mark> <mark>
tags. If you forget and later remember, modify the post and add the tags. If forget and don’t remember, don’t sweat it. I obsessively add them as needed.

Grumpy_Mike lives up to his moniker. But is also extremely helpful. Ignore the grumpiness.

PaulS often uses biting sarcasm. But is also extremely helpful. Ignore the sarcasm.

Don’t create a poll. If you accidentally create a poll, ask a moderator to delete it. If you accidentally create a poll and forget to have it removed you will be harassed. Ignore the harassment. It really isn’t that big of a deal.

There you go. All the etiquette you need to know to thrive here.

PaulS often uses biting sarcasm. But is also extremely helpful.

citation needed :P

Osgeld:

yea I often say AV is worse than the viruses they don't protect you against, in fact Norton as an example is more difficult to remove than most viruses sometimes requiring special removal tools and manual registry editing ... often to attempt an automatic reinstall everytime you right click something

2 cents

In general, I recommend /not/ installing anything that inserts itself as blobs of .sys data into the call stack of all disk I/O...

Osgeld:
in fact Norton as an example is more difficult to remove

Difficult? On an older computer I have I cannot get rid the ^&@^!$&@#* thing! Every few days it asks for money. That was the last time we used Norton anti-virus software.