karma is biased.

As proved from another thread.

Karma is not about helping or being helpful.

Eg, one could spend 3 hours on a problem of someones here, write out code, etc then at the end of it.... someone else comes along with some copy and pasted code and then THEY get the karma.

Karma is a popularity contest.
Karma is unfair.
Karms gives a false description of the person.

Can you suggest an objective way of assessing helpfulness?

I don't think it needs to be assessed in the first place.

But I do sometimes wish there was a down button.....

To make it fair..... difficult!

I love a challenge, I'll get back to you :slight_smile:

Karma can only be received not demanded. The receivers of advice or suggestions are the ones that decide to give karma or not. The receiver of karma has no say in the matter, no matter if the karma is deserved or not. And I've never once read of someone asking for a karma hit, but maybe I missed some?

So you are correct, Karma is biased and subjective, but only by the one that gives it out. I think you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist except in your mind.

You should have been around the few months that they allowed both positive and negative karma hits, that was a kick.

Lefty

retrolefty:
You should have been around the few months that they allowed both positive and negative karma hits, that was a kick.

Was everyone in the red after a week? Cuz, that's what I imagine would happen. It's just human nature - we find it way easier to be negative than to be positive.

jasmine2501:

retrolefty:

Was everyone in the red after a week? Cuz, that's what I imagine would happen. It's just human nature - we find it way easier to be negative than to be positive.

Yes, it became a joke for many by just handing out lots of negatives just to keep a tight horse racing going on between whoever the top 3 or 4 negative leaders were. Some took it really personal while others thought it was all a fun joke. After awhile it was decided to just have the positive karma and everything settled down nice a quickly after that. But it was fun for awhile for those that remember.

Keep in mind that while a receiver knows his/her karma count, there is no way to figure out who gave it to them. I guess that is what made giving out negative karma so much fun for some..

LOL that doesn't surprise me at all. When you have a meaningless system to play with, what else would programmers do than make a game out of it?

I like the StackOverflow model - I think the reputation system there is fairly valid. It costs you points to vote things down, and you can't down-vote anything until you have enough reputation, and to get reputation, you have to be helpful and up-vote other posts. So, down-votes are taken fairly seriously - people don't spend their own reputation on a joke. People can only have positive reputation too - a post can go negative (and that hurts the poster's rep), but a user can't. Negative posts are usually removed - I've removed my own posts because of that, and you get your rep back when you delete it. There's actually a badge for removing one of your own posts I think. They encourage good behavior by rewarding it with meaningless "points" but it seems to work.

Points are a fairly strong motivator, it turns out... (even if nobody knows your score but you)

How's this sound...

Everyone gets 100 coins on registration, you are then allowed to give Karma for 1 coin or 10 karmas for 10 coins etc etc.

The more help the more the user can spend his/her coins even offering coins or karma to help them, if the user decides they like the coin system to get help.... either you work for coins by helping others or pull out their cash cards and buy 1000 points for 10 bucks (or whatever).

Coins could be used as an incentive to help people, eg redeem 1000 coins (bought or given) and get an arduino mug, 10000 coins get's you an Arduino etc etc ..

Coins to buy karma or virtual gifts or real ones! Earnt by helping others...

Oh and PLEASE don't come back with numbers I just typed, reaL figures should be calculated..

Or, … or (as Barney would say)… just ditch the whole karma thing

real karma cannot be expressed by an integer

and no, ... also not by a float, real or complex number - although this latter has interesting 2D properties :wink:

Someone can get help and give no one karma because they don't know what it is. I had to look it up.

Don't take it so seriously. For a long time karma was not collected and lately (?) it is again. The big counts were here in dinosaur times! Karma is not a complete, accurate measure of the member but more of a fuzzy guide.

Is there someone who helped you with an answer and/or example you really liked? Give them karma. It may improve the accuracy of some parts of the system when good info is rewarded, no?

retrolefty:

And I’ve never once read of someone asking for a karma hit, but maybe I missed some?

I do ]:smiley: on nearly every page on my website with the plugin.
I hope it didn’t help 8)

I think posts/(karma+1) gives a ballpark number.
To high = cheater
to low = novice mostly asking for help
high = if what is being said sounds reasonable it probably is
all others = ignore karma

Best regards
Jantje

PS it is karma+1 because /0 is to high.

As somebody who gets karma points occasionally, it would be nice to know which post people though was worthy of karma points (not who gave it to me, just which of the 4-8 posts I make a day are worthy).

MichaelMeissner:
As somebody who gets karma points occasionally, it would be nice to know which post people though was worthy of karma points (not who gave it to me, just which of the 4-8 posts I make a day are worthy).

But that may alter your behavior and we like you the way your are. :wink:

As I say in my profile "Measurement changes behavior". So be careful what you measure.

+1 for your profile slogan

Jantje:

retrolefty:
And I've never once read of someone asking for a karma hit, but maybe I missed some?

I do ]:smiley: on nearly every page on my website with the plugin.
I hope it didn't help 8)

To high = cheater
to low = novice mostly asking for help
high = if what is being said sounds reasonable it probably is
all others = ignore karma

Best regards
Jantje

PS it is karma+1 because /0 is to high.

So the bigger the karma, the less reasonable the poster? N/2 is bigger than N/100 when I learned math.

Karma should be mysterious anyway.

That is not valid because the collection of Karma has only been going on for a short time compared to the time when there were posts but no Karma. Therefore the number of posts for longer term contributors is too large to calculate any sort of meaningful Karma per posts measurement.

I was pondering the posts/karma thing too, and specifically calculated that for who I assume the curmudgeon to be. His posts / karma is about 90, mine’s 60 so in a sense my karma is “better” than his.

BUT… I thought further, seeing as it was pointed out above that he sticks with a poster’s problem till the bitter end once he gets his teeth in. So then his posts / karma will rise, and look “bad” since it might cost him 20 posts to help the poster yet still result in only 1 karma point.

So frankly, other than just as a bit of fun and a talking point on a boring Sunday morning, the karma thing is really just a wank.