Key difference between Uno + WiFi and NodeMCU?

Hi All

I am building a number of projects at the moment, using a mixture of Adruino Uno R3 and NodeMCU boards.
Projects such as large marquee letters with pixel LED’s that can be controlled via DMX (for my wedding), also using wi-fi to control pixel panels in 40cm cube transparent seats (again for the wedding)

Code I have been downloading and playing with (to learn) has worked on both boards without issues, I just sometimes have to change pin numbers.

Are there any key differences I should be aware of between adding a wi-fi module to a Uno or Mega vs using the all-in-one NodeMCU boards?

Reason for the question - I have got code working to plug DMX into a Uno, then receive DMX commands to activate different routines for various LED patterns. (Pixels plugged in locally to the Uno). I have also got two NodeMCU’s talking to each other with the master sending values through to the slave to activate various LED patterns. Now I need to decide if I can combine the two, either using a NodeMCU as the master and DMX receiver, or a Uno or Mega with Wi-Fi adapter.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and ideas :slight_smile:

NodeMCU has a far more powerful processor but less I/O pins.

If you need accurate and reliable high speed timing, use an Arduino board. The ATmega controller is much better at that than the ESP8266.

Thank you :slight_smile: