[key pad] encoding IC

I would like to make a key pad(4*4) and battery with some encoding IC. And then it just use a couple of wires(gnd and signal?) to transmit that encoded signal to another point. In that point, it provide MCU, battery and some output device to decode the signal and show which button in pressing.

Can anyone tell me what encoding IC I can use in this case? :roll_eyes:

Thanks a lot!

How long is the wire?

x850xtpe:
I would like to make a key pad(4*4) and battery with some encoding IC. And then it just use a couple of wires(gnd and signal?) to transmit that encoded signal to another point. In that point, it provide MCU, battery and some output device to decode the signal and show which button in pressing.

How about an Arduino? It seems ideal for a job like this.

johnwasser:
How long is the wire?

<20cm

fungus:

x850xtpe:

Sure, i will use an arduino on the output point. Due to i have to minimize the cost, arduino cannot use on input points. Actually, it may have many input points with only single one of output point.

===Input point===
4*4 key pad
battery
encoding IC
|
|
|
===Output point===
Arduino(with decoding work)
output devide(LCD, ...)
battery

x850xtpe:

fungus:

Sure, i will use an arduino on the output point. Due to i have to minimize the cost, arduino cannot use on input points. Actually, it may have many input points with only single one of output point.

With 20cm wires? Connect your buttons to some shift registers, eg. the 74HC165. One Arduino can read a lot of buttons that way.

PS: You can get Arduino clones for under $7

x850xtpe:

johnwasser:
How long is the wire?

<20cm

Run an 8-wire ribbon cable from the keypad to the Arduino. That will save you a chip and battery at the keypad.