Keyboard pins not available

Hello I'm working on my keyboard project and i have a question at the moment i do not have any available pins to use on my Leonardo board For leds on the caps locks or num lock led. SO need help in figuring what can i use to free up the pins. I been searching around and i have seen some people used a SN74HC595N shift register but some people comment might be to slow or use a johnson counter but i never used one so not sure can someone please help me out?

The "slowness " of a shift register is a relitave term. Compared to human perception it is instantaneous. Can you spot the difference between a 4uS delay and a 20uS delay? Bet you can't.

Hey Grumpy Mike you are right i couldn’t But i was wondering about it say for playing games when you hit the main keys on the keyboard. How would it react being shift registers on it.

But i was wondering about it say for playing games when you hit the main keys on the keyboard. How would it react being shift registers on it.

Unless you are superman you can not tell a delay of anything less than 30mS, a delay of 20uS is three orders of magnitude less.

I did some tests on this years ago building control gear for television studios - the geatest delay that was imperceptable when pressing a button turned out to be about 10mS

regards

Allan

Thank you all for that information. It will help me also to set the delays in pressing the keys.

Sense I'm using a Leonardo for this project. I have seen something online about when the Pc or device is in sleep mode that when pressing the keys on the Leonardo it does not respond to wake up the Device. Wondering if anyone has seen this before?

Wouldn't surprise me because not looking at a USB device allows you to shut a lot more down when the computer is in sleep mode.

Almost the same issue: Leonardo as keyboard does not wake windows 7 from sleep

Does any USB keyboard wake up windows 7 from sleep? If the answer is no then you can't expect a Leonardo to do it.

My keyboard my normal keyboard i have is a logitech usb keyboard And it does wake up when my windows 7 goes to sleep when i hit any key on the keyboard. thank you uxomm for that. I'm looking at it and looks like it will maybe work for me thank you.

Do a search.. I just read about this.

There were people working on editing things so you could send this command to the PC and wake it up.

I believe it was in use in the NICOHOOD library? (spelling?) and also available by default in later version of the IDE 1.6.6 I think was mentioned?