Keypad prints 1 without keypress

I connected my keypad to my UNO and coded it using the code from How to Set Up a Keypad on an Arduino - Circuit Basics

Using the keypad library. Wiring has no shorts. All keypad rows and column pins plugged into there correct arduino pins(pin9-pin3)

When i upload the sketch. The serial monitor just shows '1' and nothing else. And i didnt even press any key as yet. And if i press any key. I dont get any output on the monitor.

I have checked all the wiring. To get an output "1". Pin9 and 5 have to be shorted. I checked with a multimeter over and over .all pins..no shorts.
Interestingly even with the keypad unplugged from the arduino. It still displays "1".

Could it be a fault with the uno? Or code?
Its really frustrating.
Kindly assist in any way possible

Show us a good schematic of your circuit.
Show us a good image of your ‘actual’ wiring.
Give links to components.
Posting images:

Use CTRL T to format your code.
Attach your ‘complete’ sketch between code tags, use the </> icon in the posting menu.
[code]Paste your sketch here[/code]

aleem1998:
I connected my keypad to my UNO and coded it using the code from How to Set Up a Keypad on an Arduino - Circuit Basics

Different approach here with less wiring…

aleem1998:
Could it be a fault with the uno? Or code?

Well it's not the code: I just hooked my pad up like in the blog and used that code, works as advertised for me.

I just added a serial print to show setup() has completed and got this when I pressed all the keys across and down. (And no "phantom" keys when no key pressed.)

setup done
A
B
C
#
D