Kickstarter + Arduino + Bluetooth = have to pay license fees for bluetooth?

Hey all,

I am a little confused with all the bluetooth mumbo jumbo on licensing fees. If I build a arduino bluetooth device say with one of the HC-06 or variants bluetooth modules and put it up on kickstarter. Will I have to pay any licensing fees for using a bluetooth module?

Thanks

You would be libel to pay yes.

However if you wanted not to pay I don't think any one will come after you for the very small ammount you would owe.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are buying an HC-05 board, wouldn't the original seller/designer of the board have paid the license fees? Now, if you are designing your own bluetooth radio from scratch, then obviously you need to pay the IP costs for licensing bluetooth.

Yes they dont make it clear on their SIG website what costs there are for just using the bluetooth protocol. Not using any bluetooth trademarks or anything just want the ability to pair my device with an arduino for serial comm.

I would consult a lawyer for this advice, not a hobbyist forum.

Or consult the datasheet for the particular chip used in the module. Sometimes they have licensing information.

MichaelMeissner: Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are buying an HC-05 board, wouldn't the original seller/designer of the board have paid the license fees? Now, if you are designing your own bluetooth radio from scratch, then obviously you need to pay the IP costs for licensing bluetooth.

Yes you are missing something. You do not buy a licence to use a device just because you bought that device as a module. I used to look after the licensing for all the components of a set top box in a former job.

The world has truly gone mad ;-)

rogerClark: The world has truly gone mad ;-)

Never said it hadn't.

In the set top box I designed the company had to pay license fees to:- MPEG Thomson Macrovision Plus one other I can't remember. In total there was about £3 per box to pay. That is the way patents work. A nice little earner when you make a million boxes.