KICKSTARTER - Has anyone used it to publish/sell thier project ?

Hi

I am just looking to see if there has been anyone one here that has started/achieved/failed at Kickstarter

I have loads of questions, like...

• how was the experience generally ?
  • are there any unusual constraints/contractual tie-ins ?
  • are there any approvals (CE) required prior to batch release ?
  • did you achieve what you set out to do ?
  • what was the after-experience like (sales/aftersales/updates etc)
  • was it financially rewarding, break-even, dead-loss ?
  • did the experience make you feel like doing another crowd-funded project ?
  • Is there a better Crowd-Funder than Kickstarter for electronics/tech ?

I have been considering starting at least one of my many unusual projects on there

Thanks to anyone that can give me any information

Regards, Bob

People think if they put their project, money will come easily, I will give you 1 advice and no one talk about it,
you must use Media, without it you will only have a cable of $$

you can find websites work with Kick, they offer a Media package for only 500$, these companies will make you famous on Media channels, TV, newspaper ... search on that first, that's the key

other thing, if you are looking to make money! make your project simple as you can, choose simple things to do, USB charger, smart lamp... these type of project success fast and make allot of money, and easy to made.

last thing, if you need money to complete your project, don't say that, people will pay more if you say your project finished and now in commercialize stage, and don't chose dead line more than 3 month
good luck with your project :wink:

narzan:
last thing, if you need money to complete your project, don't say that, people will pay more if you say your project finished and now in commercialize stage

Lying about the project status is terrible advice. For at least three very serious reasons. One of which involves the long arm of the law.

People will not pay if you have it only on papers, at least make it work, laws problem!? Nop!!

The last advice from the media company, they gives me a training to what to say & what not, the big lie here is using Media, you can see big projects there and no one fund it, in the same time silly projects for USB charger make 1 million, that's the tricky thing here MEDIA.

Did you think kick care about your project? NO, its all about money, its evil game, know how to play it, or don't play it at all, I am not saying to lie on people, that's what companies do on kick these days, and thanks to make me the evilest guy on the planet -_- , anyway I am telling you that from 2 projects at indigogo, a website like kick but global, the first device was to save water for poor countries, big project with amazing new technology, and I only made 5000$ the other one was silly but I used Media, its a universal charger, and success in weird way, that's the MEDIA

...laws problem!? Nop{e}...

A simple Google search reveals that to be an unbelievably ignorant claim.

In any case, it makes no difference, from what I know of him on this forum I doubt @mcnobby would lie.

These two have successfully navigated Kickstarter and offer very detailed advice...
http://www.thedoubleclicks.com/2014/10/20/one-weird-trick-for-a-successful-kickstarter-project/

I have (had?) a second similar reference from someone who made an electronic device but I can't find it. If my brain ever reveals it to me I will let you know.

How people will know anyway!!!! I am saying to make your project at least work, not only exist on papers

Well guys, thank you for the advice, I realise its not money for old rope and that I have to work to get returns, I am not looking for instant success, in fact actually I could see this as a very gradual process, perhaps doing several products over a period of years to build up some trust and believability with the pledgers

All the product ideas I have are a least 80% finished, some just requiring final PCB and software testing, I wouldnt give myself the impossible task of just having an idea on paper without doing months of feasibility studies first

I had a feeling this may have been a touchy subject, not all is what it seems, but I would guess there is the information I need out there, thanks for the link CodingBadly

I have been trying to get my head round what types of ideas seem to be popular, or gather interest quickly, and how it is presented - you could have two identical ideas presented differently, one would fly, one might fail to reach targets

So basically, I'm kind of doing a feasibility study on kickstarter to see if I trust them !

Thanks again for your input :slight_smile:

mcnobby:
I had a feeling this may have been a touchy subject, not all is what it seems, but I would guess there is the information I need out there, thanks for the link CodingBadly

There are a ton of "X steps for a successful Kickstarter campaign" blogs, articles, and books. The ones I've read are either painfully obvious or rubbish. I have yet to find one written by someone who actually participated in a Kickstarter campaign. (Forbes, Entrepreneur, and Inc seem to like publishing that sort of thing.)

The link above is a first-person account that is very similar to the other first-person accounts I have read. That's where you can find good advice.

Ugh. I cannot find that missing link.

In the search, I came across these two. No guarantees from the management (or anyone else)...

http://fredbenenson.com/2012/07/23/kickstarter-fulfillment-and-product-development-a-story-of-dogfood-and-data-validation/

I thought Kickstarter became less useful for electronics projects since they discontinued multiple pieces as rewards.
(ie, it's harder to use as a general purpose sales channel.)

Teensy 3 was a kickstarter project; sort of. PJRC finished and shipped so promptly that I got the impression that they were using kickstarter primarily as a publicity channel.

Digispark was also a kickstarter project. Probably a better example.

The Borderless Electronics Leonardo clone was an Indiegogo project. Not without controversy...

Lots more to read thanks, and thanks for your info & comments westfw :slight_smile:

Westfw:
Kickstarter didn't discontinue multiple-item rewards, they just set rules for them. You can offer up to 10.