[Kinda Solved]Issues with the IDE on windows 8 64 bit

I received an arduino nano with Atmega 328P this morning. Of course I logically went to download and install the IDE (drivers for the FTDI chip auto installed on my machine) on my windows 8 pro 64 bit desktop.

This is what i was presented with. A horrible buggy mess.

Switching to windows XP compatibility mode kinda solved it, some of the dropdown menus are a bit weird but its not as bad as above. But it freezes and crashes very often. Once during uploading the blink sketch.

I did manage to upload the blink sketch to board twice with different delay times, that worked fine. But on the 3rd time the IDE crashed mid way through. Since then: avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I think the bootloader has been corrupted, I dont own an ISP to reflash it, I dont own another arduino to use as an ISP. All I have is the nano, a few USB cables and the arduino IDE. And no one suggest the enhanced IDE, its just as bad, it doesnt crash like XP compatibility mode but it is full of graphical glitches similar (but not as severe) to the image above. I also only have 10 pence to my name so buying another arduino or a programmer is out of the question.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to correct the IDE's incompetence?

EDIT: I do actually have a parallel port on my PC (although the PC is not old at all, it does just happen to have one on the motherboard). I also have a raspberry pi. Would anyone know how to use either of those?

No one?

Moved it around USB ports until it eventually worked again.

This time I have foregone the official IDE and am using Visual Micro for my existing Visual Studio 2010 installation, have not had any issues with this setup at all.

SixSixSevenSeven: No one?

Moved it around USB ports until it eventually worked again.

This time I have foregone the official IDE and am using Visual Micro for my existing Visual Studio 2010 installation, have not had any issues with this setup at all.

Hello Sir!

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I just had the exact same problem. To me the program "MSI Afterburner" seemed to cause the problem when I had it running in the background. I occasionally use it to measure GPU utilization and framerate in certain games. When I closed it down the problem with the Arduino IDE disappeared and it ran like it should. Do you by any chance have this program (or perhaps similar) running in the background as well?