Kinect interacting with LED's (processing & Arduino)

I use a neopixel 6x6 led matrix (ws2812) + Arduino Uno

I wrote a small code that uses Kinect to track movement in processing. It displays everything between the depth of 300 & 500 in pixels.

I want this to be displayed on a led matrix. (I haven't gotten more out the matrix it displaying a rainbow). It will stay connected to my computer throughout so the video processing wouldn't have to be done on the Arduino itself.

I am new to Arduino but I think for this I need to solve both these problems:

I want to know how I can translate everything between the depth of 300 & 500 to values I can use in Arduino. to make the leds glow up when these values are met.
And how would I make it so the right Leds light up? so it basically displays what processing captures.
basically the leds should display something like this: Arduino Eye Shield - first test - YouTube

but how would I go and do this? does anybody have any tips/articles/tutorials I could look at?

If someone can get me on the right track that would be greatly appreciated! do I need extra hardware or is this just code?

I would say it is just code.
The big problem is the resolution of the matrix is very small and the resolution of your Kinect is by comparison massive so you can not do a one to one mapping. So you have the choice of reducing the size of the Kinect image or just taking a small section of its image.

Honestly at 6 by 6 it is not going to look like much at all. Even if you had a 16 by 16 matrix you would struggle to make it look like much.

Try reducing the image to a 6 by 6 block in Processing first to see how it looks. I don’t think you will find it very useful.

What video processing? Are you looking for changes in a 300x500 image? 150000 pixels?

Grumpy_Mike:
I would say it is just code.
The big problem is the resolution of the matrix is very small and the resolution of your Kinect is by comparison massive so you can not do a one to one mapping. So you have the choice of reducing the size of the Kinect image or just taking a small section of its image.

Honestly at 6 by 6 it is not going to look like much at all. Even if you had a 16 by 16 matrix you would struggle to make it look like much.

Try reducing the image to a 6 by 6 block in Processing first to see how it looks. I don’t think you will find it very useful.

Hey Mike, Thanks for the reply. I just want to get the code running. I will probably make a much larger version later on. Do you have any ideas how to get Arduino and processing working together on this?

Do you have any ideas how to get Arduino and processing working together on this?

You need to get processing to reduce the picture to a 6 by 6 size. Then send the resulting 36 bytes from your PC using the serial port to the Arduino.

Then put those 36 bytes into the buffer which is being multiplexed as your matrix display.

So you need to break this down into small parts, research each one:-

1. Reducing the picture by taking an average of a super pixel which is what you have to divide the image into a region of 6 by 6 rectangles.

2. Send data to the Arduino using the serial port.

3. The matrix display works by repeatedly sending an area of Arduino memory to the matrix. See:- Arduino Workshop